This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is mythology?

1. ToraMyuu profile image59
    ToraMyuuposted 7 years ago

What is mythology?

Any answers reminecent of "the study of myths" is not welcome. I want a little more thought. smile Please & thank you.

2. profile image0
    Aka Professor Mposted 7 years ago

Mythology is the study of ancient religious practices involving the personification of nature phenomenon with deities either male or female. The classic representations are those of Greek, Roman and Norse however Egyptian and Mayan are also accepted in the lesser known heading of mythology!

3. chasemillis profile image65
    chasemillisposted 7 years ago

Sorry but I don't have a legit, useful definition. Rather, just an
    Interesting Side note - one of them was King Midas - he wished that everything he touched turned to gold, it was great until his son/daughter came running home and he turned him/her into gold. He asked to have his power taken back, but his son/daughter was still golden. That's what the car commercial is referring to, "Trust the Midas Touch"

4. ToraMyuu profile image59
    ToraMyuuposted 7 years ago

@chasemillis: while King Midas' story is a well-known myth, I am not looking for a definition, I'm looking for your opinion. It's more of an open ended question that your college professor would ask to get people to participate instead of texting or sleeping. Part of how I think is answering questions to solve a problem I don’t currently understand, so I guess I'm asking for a brain splurge discussion. smile
    @aka: While mythology is primarily about nature, especially in the beginning of the stories/time, in my studies of mythology, the mythology of any culture you look at has grown and expanded to include more of human traits and well-being with the "civilization" of the culture. One of my favorites is Zeus, during more primitive hunter/gather times, he was one of the biggest players in history, but when we again look at Greece & Rome hundreds of years later we see him as the King of the Gods and God of Justice, (even though he still, um, chased any pretty lady he chanced to look at).

working