jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Which Shakespeare play do you consider his finest and why?

1. Storytellersrus profile image77
    Storytellersrusposted 6 years ago

Which Shakespeare play do you consider his finest and why?

Out of all Shakespeare's work you have read or experienced, which speaks most deeply to your heart?  And another question, Why do you think his work has transcended time?

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Hamlet.  I love this play.  I believe his work has transcended time because this themes are universal and timeless.  The human struggle will always be with us, jealousies, hatred, deceit--none of those things are new, they have been around a long long time and Shakespeare addressed those issues in his work.  He was well versed in the human struggle.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I agree, it has to be Hamlet. The play has so many layers.

4. Rosie2Travel profile image60
    Rosie2Travelposted 6 years ago

My favorite (though maybe not considered his "best") is A Midsummer's Night's Dream. I studied this play in a "gifted" course in elementary school. Then I saw the play several times in college. There's just something comforting about this play. I think it might be because I identify so much with Helena. Any way, it is the play I fell most in love with and still would rather read or see this play than almost any other play I can think of.

5. kloydskii profile image60
    kloydskiiposted 5 years ago

Macbeth. In this play, this famous soliloquy was written:
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more.

6. evgabay profile image61
    evgabayposted 5 years ago

Ah, such a difficult question!  As a teacher, when I teach a Shakespearean play, I rediscover elements about a play, and it becomes quite beloved. I quite enjoy Macbeth, and it is an excellent play. However, I do have two favorites, a comedy and a tragedy.

A Midsummer Night's Dream never fails to make me chuckle, smile, and just be enchanted by the play.  I am truly transported to another time and dimension, where lovers struggle and come together, and there is another world of fairies interfering with our world.  Plus, the scenes with Bottom as a Donkey are hysterical!  I love that play.

My favorite tragedy has to be King Lear.  Father-daughter relationships, loyalty, dementia, manipulation, and a sad, old king who is, as he loses his power, loses his humanity.  I have found the scene between the joker and King Lear the most poignant in the entire play.  It fills me with an incredible sadness, which stays with me for the rest of it.  My training should have me pick up a copy of the play and just demonstrate why it is poignant, but I am just going to leave with this thought:  your question about why Shakespeare's works have transcended time was answered before it even began: because they speak most deeply to our hearts.