jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Who are your favourite fantasy writers and why?

1. Linda Bliss profile image91
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

Who are your favourite fantasy writers and why?

Just finished the rain wild chronicles by Robin Hobb and need something new to read! :-)

2. nishlaverz profile image59
    nishlaverzposted 6 years ago

I love to read new unpublished writers on Writing.Com. There are some great fantasy stories on there.

3. LisaKoski profile image93
    LisaKoskiposted 6 years ago

J.R.R. Tolkien is my absolute favorite. So much detail and work into such an epic story and I just love how beautifully written it is. I've read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit so many times I've lost count and even read other works like The Silmarillion that are a little less well known. Gotta love the classics!

4. My SciFi Life profile image74
    My SciFi Lifeposted 6 years ago

Robert Jordan (deceased) is obviously a favorite for his Wheel of Time series which is finally going to finish this year thanks to the work of Brandon Sanderson - his work is excellent also of course.  I guess third man is George R.R. Martin ... his work is a lot grittier and realistic than the others and you really need the time to devote to his mammoth tomes though!

5. Juliek958 profile image60
    Juliek958posted 6 years ago

J. R. R. Tolkein, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and all for the same reasons.  They tell imaginative stories with incredible detail and beauty of language.  You basically feel you are right there with the characters.  You can close your eyes and see each place as it is described perfectly.  And the stories leave you wanting more which is what a good tale should do.

6. Gail Daley profile image59
    Gail Daleyposted 6 years ago

1) Andre Norton because no one can out do her Witch World series. Her characters live and breathe.
    2) Christopher Stasheff because he manages to treat serious subjects with a sense of humor. Wizard in Rhyme series
    3) Nora Roberts because she can seamlessly combine modern society with tales of witches or vampires and make you believe they are real.

7. ishwaryaa22 profile image89
    ishwaryaa22posted 6 years ago

My favorite writers in this genre  are J.K. Rowling and C.S. Lewis. J.K. Rowling wrote the entertaining Harry Potter books that played well with Harry Potter fans's imagination. Rowling has a flair for story-telling intertwined with magic and myths in her books. C.S. Lewis created the famous The Chronicles of Narnia book-series. These exciting books are packed with adventures in magical lands, talking animals, bravery, etc which enthralled its readers for many years. Though these books by both authors may be for younger readers, however the adults still enjoy reading these books.

working