jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you find writing easy?

1. Digitskyes profile image73
    Digitskyesposted 5 years ago

Do you find writing easy?

Does writing come easily to you or did you have to struggle to learn it and hone your skill.

2. NatalieSack profile image61
    NatalieSackposted 5 years ago

It's an epic struggle for me, but one I feel compelled to do!

3. Steele Fields profile image78
    Steele Fieldsposted 5 years ago

I was absolutely born a writer- I dictated my first story to my mother at age four (as I was yet unable to actually write) but from my own experience, honing the craft takes dedication, determination and education.  A healthy dose of obsessive compulsion doesn't hurt either.  In my opinion, to be a true writer, you have to wander around feeling like a fraud while secretly believing you're genuine at the same time.  You have to be dissatisfied with everything you write until you get to the saturation point and realize it's time to let it go.  Then you sit there wondering where inspiration lies and whether you'll ever write another decent word, until suddenly someone utters a  pithy phrase, or you steal an old magazine from the doctor's office or you have a bizarre dream about tidal waves and chicken heads, and you're off and running again.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I wouldn't have it any other way:)

4. Hunbbel Meer profile image86
    Hunbbel Meerposted 5 years ago

Most of the time - when I am not going through the writer's block patch - writing comes naturally to me. I have always been an efficient communicator, and thus, I find writing relatively easy to me.

5. MPChris profile image79
    MPChrisposted 5 years ago

Writing is always a struggle for me. The initial impetus for creation is fairly easy, and the actual writing is moderately draining work. However, its the editing, three or four revisions; that gets to me. Yet at the same time, I usually feel compelled to such editing because you are so close to the 'end'; if there ever is one.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

MPChris hit the nail on the head for me. I can write first drafts like nobody's business, but when it comes to editing, that's where everything grinds to a halt. I understand it's importance, and I'm willing to do the work, but I can knock out a new novel over the course of only a few months, where as editing that novel will take many more years before I'm satisfied with it. I hate being misinterpreted, so its incredibly difficult to have a final product I'm satisfied with.

7. inevitablesecrets profile image76
    inevitablesecretsposted 5 years ago

Depends on the day, my mood, what I'm writing about.  There are a lot of factors.

8. freemarketingnow profile image58
    freemarketingnowposted 5 years ago

No, I absolutely do not! It's very difficult for me and it takes me a long time to come up with something good.

working