jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

What is a good book to read on holiday?

1. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 5 years ago

What is a good book to read on holiday?

I am looking for the perfect poolside novel to pack in my suitcase for a holiday in the sun. Can anyone recommend a good, gripping read - modern literature preferred.

2. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 5 years ago

I'd recommend any of the Dan Brown books, short sentences, gripping plots that are  easy to follow and mildly interesting characters. The books are quite long, but they are real page turners, you'll easily complete one in a week.

1. angied83 profile image80
      angied83posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Two thumbs up for Dan Brown's books. I love this author. Reminds me a bit of Sidney Sheldon's writing style I think.

3. Claudia Tello profile image77
    Claudia Telloposted 5 years ago

"What is the What" by Dave Eggers is a very nice one based on the true story of a lost boy of Sudan and the things he has to go through to achieve freedom (I wrote a book review on that one if you want to know more about it). Otherwise, I just finished "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese, very nice fiction; there is also a book review on that one by another hubber.

1. angied83 profile image80
      angied83posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Have "Cutting for Stone" on my Kindle. Didnt get around to reading it yet. But hope to before the year ends :-)

4. angied83 profile image80
    angied83posted 5 years ago

Hmm.. if you dont want to get bored I would suggest you try Neil Gaiman's books. I love Stardust and Neverwhere.

5. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 5 years ago

"Still Alice" by Lisa Genova is a good read! I read it about a year ago and I plan to pick it up again. It's a story about a college professor being diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease and takes you on a journey as how she and her family cope with it. I highly recommend it!

6. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 5 years ago

Any Patricia Cornwell books in the Scarpetta serries, they really are gripping and follow on from one to the other.Body of Evidence and Blow fly are ones that will get you going and wanting more.

7. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 5 years ago

well that's a pretty good list to be going on with - I shall be making a note of all your suggestions and paying a visit to my local bookshop to see what I can find. thanks for all your answers smile

8. sashas89 profile image69
    sashas89posted 5 years ago

Anything by Nicholas Sparks. If you are amiable to fantasy, I HUGELY recommend George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series (aka Game of Thrones source)

working