jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

The use of 'the' with 'most'.

1. Hunbbel Meer profile image86
    Hunbbel Meerposted 5 years ago

The use of 'the' with 'most'.

I know the basic rule for using 'the' with the superlative degree of adjective. However, today, when I was reading an article, I got confused with the following line. Can anyone help me in this regard? This is the exact line:

"They're probably the guys you feel for most"

Will there be a 'the' before the word 'most'? Kindly also explain the similar rule for the word 'best' when it comes in a running sentence like this.

2. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image80
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 5 years ago

I guess it is used in a meaning "to a greater degree or more times than anything else":
    e.g.
    What annoyed him most was the way she wouldn't even listen.
    I guess the food I eat most is pasta.
         Most of all, I just felt sad that it was over.

If it is used  before an adjective or adverb to form the superlative degree and the meaning is "having the greatest amount of a particular quality"  then we use "the "
    e.g.
    She's one of the most experienced teachers in the district.
    The most important thing is to stay calm.

3. Bronterae profile image60
    Bronteraeposted 5 years ago

The most, the best...... has more punch/emphasis than just skipping the "the" here.  Simply, it's now optional.

Btw, you would never say/write "The most of all, .....  at the beginning of a sentence.   "He liked her dress, the most of all." is okay but better to skip "the" here.

But you could say "The best of all is the blue car........ but its very awkward. 
    Better:      Best of all is the blue car.
    Best:        The blue car is the best.               The "the" is optional. 

However, if the phrase is followed by a noun, you need the "the". 

The best writers came to the meeting.  "of all" is assumed and is awkward if said.
    The most qualified writers came to the meeting.  Same here. 

Sorry I've forgotten most of the proper terms for grammer.  Hope this helps

1. Bronterae profile image60
      Bronteraeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

not to confuse you more but I thought of another example: If most is used as the end of the sentence, then you must have the "the".  i.e...  "He liked her dress the most/the best."

2. Hunbbel Meer profile image86
      Hunbbel Meerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your in-depth answer.

However, in accordance with your last comment, isn't the above-mentioned statement wrong then?

3. Bronterae profile image60
      Bronteraeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Let me try again.  I got stuck on the prepositional phrase "of all".  If you said, He liked her dress most/best of all", the "the" is better not said but optional.  You could say, "He liked her dress best." But NEVER say "He liked her dress most".

working