jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Do you have an agent for your writing?

1. hecate-horus profile image81
    hecate-horusposted 5 years ago

Do you have an agent for your writing?

Is it worth it?  How much do they get paid?  I'm cleaning up my novel right now and looking into the next step.

2. Pennypines profile image60
    Pennypinesposted 5 years ago

No, and don't think I did not try.  Most agents only want a name brand.  And if you request them to review your book, they immediately try to sell you their own.  I published an unfinished manuscript of my grandmother's, written almost 100 years ago.  Today after almost 9 years from publication it is still selling well and still very much in demand.  Some things are ageless.
    Then I tried to get an agent for my own memoir, only to be turned down again and again.  So I self-published.  Guess what?  I have a hard time keeping up with the demand. 
    Forget agents, forget traditional publishers, go on your own.  One word to the wise however, be careful what POD publisher you use.  They are real sharks.  Research them carefully before you choose.

1. hecate-horus profile image81
      hecate-horusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Awesome advice!  What POD publisher did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

2. Tarantula B profile image61
      Tarantula Bposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Penny I think you should write an article on self-publishing. You seem to have valuable experience in this.

working