jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

So what's your favorite fantasy or scifi author?

1. isabelamadaun profile image60
    isabelamadaunposted 5 years ago

So what's your favorite fantasy or scifi author?

For me, I love Diana Wynne Jones.  Howl's Moving Castle or the Chronicles of Chrestomanci are just so much fun that they could brighten the darkest day!  Not to mention her more serious works.  So awesome!  But I love Jim Butcher and his Dresden Files, Patricia Briggs and her Mercy Thompson series and spinoffs, Susannah Clarke and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, etc  How about you guys?

2. Grim Master profile image61
    Grim Masterposted 5 years ago

I'm an avid Tolkien fan. Been a Lord of the Rings fan since I was young. His work definitely serves as the grandfather of the fantasy genre.
    I really enjoy the work of Alan Moore, a graphic novelist who wrote V for Vendetta, Watchmen and From Hell, as well as others. He has a large imagination and very good writing style that bears such a luring quality to it.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

George Orwell or Frank Herbert even though their styles are so different from one another. I'm not a big fan of either genre, but I like these authors.

4. FantasyMuse profile image59
    FantasyMuseposted 5 years ago

Agree with you on Jim Butcher. My other favorite is Guy Gavriel Kay. If you haven't checked him out you should

5. Music-and-Art-45 profile image94
    Music-and-Art-45posted 5 years ago

For fantasy I would say Tolkien and George RR Martin and for science fiction Philip K. Dick.

6. mcbel profile image73
    mcbelposted 5 years ago

Stephen King. Once you get past the weirdness of his horror stories, he is one of the most talented writers when it comes to character development. Dark Tower series was great.

7. Mitch Alan profile image81
    Mitch Alanposted 5 years ago

I like Orwell for his...well...Orwellian visions and social warnings. I look to Asimov for his realistic science ladened Sci-Fi and character development. Jules Verne brought the future alive well before it had arrived. Finally, I love to delve into the Sci-Fi/Fantasy anthologies from the 50's and early 60's.

8. KiriLiz profile image59
    KiriLizposted 5 years ago

J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis are two big favorites of mine. I love the classic stories!