jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why couldn't the Dark Tower Series have a better ending? I'm so upset right now.

1. mcbel profile image71
    mcbelposted 5 years ago

Why couldn't the Dark Tower Series have a better ending? I'm so upset right now.

2. Stephen Ulibarri profile image61
    Stephen Ulibarriposted 5 years ago

Because the Gunslinger essentially lives forever. He was hundreds if not thousands of years old, and he has been chasing the man in black for a long, long time (since before the world has moved on). See, the tower was reached, that was really his only goal. He protected it on the way, slew monsters, made friends (and sacrificed them) yet he fulfilled his destiny. You see, in any story, unless the main character has truly learned his lesson, he is doomed to repeat the entire process over, and over again. He reached his sought tower, and perhaps this wasn't the first time. But because of the very fact that he continued to chase something at the cost of all he loved, and only to see what was at the top (for that was really the only reason) the Tower gave him what he wanted.

With great stories, the point isn't in the ending, or the end result. The point is always, always the journey. And you have to admit, it was an awesome journey, wasn't it?

3. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

I don't exactly read the Gunslinger but I know that King goes off on a tangent at times and the stories just lose all the climax factor. So to answer your question (not out of experience), "it's typical Stephen King". Though I understand what it's like to go through a lot just to reach a disappointing climax.

1. Stephen Ulibarri profile image61
      Stephen Ulibarriposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, I wouldn't say the Dark Tower series is "typical Stephen King." I loved it, though I love most (not all) of his works. Though he does go off on a tangent at times, I think (for the most part) it is a necessary tangent.

working