jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What are some good books for a 12 year old?

1. earthmom75 profile image59
    earthmom75posted 5 years ago

What are some good books for a 12 year old?

What are some good books for a 12 year old who reads above her grade level?  Too many teen books deal with topics that are too mature for a younger reader.

2. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 5 years ago

Being a former librarian, I know of hundreds of possible books for 12 year-olds to read. Some of the best are: Percy Jackson (series), Ember (series), Alex Rider (series), any book by Kate DiCamillo, Gordon Korman, Anthony Horowitz, Erin Hunn (Warrior Series), Sharon Creech (Ruby Holler), and Rick Riordan. Also, check out non-fiction titles that your child might be interested in. Generally, your local library would have a number of great titles to choose from. The authors I listed above are great overall and students love their books. Check Scholastic.com for more ideas. Good Luck!

1. earthmom75 profile image59
      earthmom75posted 5 years agoin reply to this

She has read the 39 Clues books written by Gordon Korman and Rick Riordan, do they have others that are similar?  She didn't care for the Warrior series, but we'll definitely check out some of the others.  Thanks!

2. profile image0
      GoldenThreadPressposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Gordon Korman and Rick Riordan have multiple series. My best suggestion is to go on the Barnes and Noble website and google their names. Sounds like your daughter is on the right track!

3. christen whalen profile image61
    christen whalenposted 5 years ago

I used to read the Unicorns of Balinor series and the Heartland series. both were excellent series and they are very much age appropriate I think.

4. JessieLong8208 profile image77
    JessieLong8208posted 3 years ago

I teach at a Middle School / Junior High, and I happen to be the librarian. If we are talking about a girl reader, I suggest the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. There are 4 books in the series. I think they are great. There is your typical love story in the background, but it is not at the forefront and it is not inappropriate for that age.

Here are a few sites that give a summary:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24770.Uglies

http://www.shmoop.com/uglies/summary.html

working