jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you accept alternating types of storytelling in a novel?

1. JaneMadelyne profile image59
    JaneMadelyneposted 5 years ago

Would you accept alternating types of storytelling in a novel?

Do you prefer to have 1 type of storytelling, being the words in a paragraph in a chapter? Or do you enjoy reading the story being (partly) told in a different manner such as (but not limited to): an e-mail (possibly within a picture), a letter, a chatlog, a one-sided or two-sided phonecall transcript, a text message, etc.
    With these alternatives, I don't mean describing "I texted him that I would be late", but the actual text, without too much unnecessary description.
    Would you accept or even enjoy to read these alternative ways of storytelling, or would it put you off?

2. Kimberly Vaughn profile image85
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

I do like some alternative methods of storytelling in novels. I think it breaks up the reading and makes it more interesting.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have to admit, I do not like those alternatives.  I think (for me) they get in the way of the story.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

For me, it all depends on if the author can do it well, within a context that makes sense for such a format. For example, if your protagonist is piecing together a mystery and they use these things to learn more, then the format could really work. But if the narrative is just jumping all over the place for no apparent reason, it will lose its cohesion and, potentially, its readers.