jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why didn't wonder woman's costume get an upgrade?

1. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Why didn't wonder woman's costume get an upgrade?

A while back there was talk that Wonder Woman's costume was going to finally get an upgrade and we got the Odyssey volumes, which were a sort of alternate reality (I'm just starting to read them now). Then, when DC launched the new 52 series of superheroes, I saw this picture. I thought; oh good, wonder woman finally got pants. However, every new picture I see of her in the new comics, she has reverted back to the silly costume of old. Is there any reason (other than blatant eye candy) that she can't get an upgrade?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7581764_f260.jpg

2. Stevennix2001 profile image90
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

I remember when NBC was originally planning a Wonder Woman pilot that was eventually canned.  The new costume that was shown had Wonder Woman wearing leather pants, and I did create a forum on hubpages about it too.  Many of the commentors hated the new look; mainly citing how allegedly Wonder Woman loses her sex appeal if they don't see her legs.  I know that's sexist, and I apologize for how it sounds, but that's just the general reaction I got when I opened up the forum asking other hubbers about it. 

I personally agree with you that her costume with the star spangled panties does look silly, as i think her wearing pants is much more practical.  Heck, even a Xena warrior princess gladiator style skirt would be more appropriate for the character, but it seems like dc isn't willing to take that chance with her.

1. MickS profile image73
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

All of the 'super heroes' look silly in their costumes, as stupid as the stereotype for Robin Hood.

3. Geekdom profile image94
    Geekdomposted 5 years ago

I actually wrote an article on Wonder Woman's costume history.  If you look at the history of her costume they have tried to modernize her several times but the star spangled swimsuit keeps making a come back.  I think the biggest issue is that she is so well known in that particular costume that it has become part of her identity, especially to those who do not follow the comics but only know here through mass media. Superman and Spider-Man have the same issue. Small changes are made but people have identified with their particular costume and it is as much a part of them as their secret identity.

4. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

It's only a child's story and I suppose it's not worth the bother.

5. dailytop10 profile image93
    dailytop10posted 5 years ago

It's not simple to take that costume away from her. The costume above anything else made her wonderwoman. Superman's outfit hasn't undergone considerable changes as well.

working