jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Can you suggest a 'Book', a person must read in his life ? & Why ?

1. Kurias James profile image59
    Kurias Jamesposted 5 years ago

Can you suggest a 'Book', a person must read in his life ? & Why ?

2. inding profile image64
    indingposted 5 years ago

"The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. and Thomas M. Campbell II, M.D.
    The book shows the results of the biggest study on the relationship between the consumption of animal products and some chronic illnesses, such as cancers, diabetes and coronary heart disease. People should have all the facts and figures before making their culinary choices.

3. TheDailyMessenger profile image61
    TheDailyMessengerposted 5 years ago

There is one, "The Richest Man in Babylon" simply because, it helps inspire someone, especially if you're into self-employment but, also it inspires people because, you are reading about someone life experiance, helping you not make some of the mistakes they did.

4. norbertmercado profile image38
    norbertmercadoposted 5 years ago

The Bible. It can help in times when you need guidance and direction.

5. philli profile image84
    philliposted 5 years ago

As an adult, I have never read a book that stayed with me long after. As a "tween" I read "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" by Mildred Taylor. It's about a young black girl in the South (and I happened to be a young girl in the South). It resonated with me because I could relate to a lot of her difficulties and frustrations. I don't even remember many specific scenes from the book, but I still remember the overall feel of the book and how much I liked it.

As an adult, the books that have stayed with me the longest are the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker (3 books...."Black", "Red" and "White"). They are fantasy novels, but they have a lot of themes that parallel this world that we live in. There are a lot of Christian undertones in them, so it is a very positive set of books.

6. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

"Walden" by Henry David Thoreau.
    If you want to learn how to appreciate nature, how to appreciate the pace of things around you, and how to appreciate your life, you should read this book. It was written over 150 years ago so the syntax is not always what we would use today. Actually it may take you several times before you even understand what it is all about.
    It is worth your time. Read it.

7. Storytellersrus profile image78
    Storytellersrusposted 5 years ago

The Aramaic Jesus by Neil Douglass Klotz! 

In this little book, Klotz translated the Lord's Prayer spoken by Jesus in his native Aramaic, including seven layers of meaning- which deepens Jesus's intended message. 

I did not realize until I read this translated prayer years ago, that my Christian holy man's native tongue was Aramaic, not Hebrew or Greek.  Nor that this rich language held meaning beyond the surface words I had read so often in English. 

Translating this prayer from the Aramaic, it became poetic and mystical, transcending all I understood of Jesus' teachings.

8. safiq ali patel profile image71
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

I'd say read Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare. Its a good read all on its own and it can really help readers and writer develop their understanding of the English language.

9. profile image51
    davesumnerposted 5 years ago

Title: The Old Professor
    Author: David Sumner
    Paperback: 168 pages
    Language: English
    ISBN-10 3845449195
    ISBN-13 9783845449197

I took over 40 years to write this book. It is a nice summer read.