jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Does loneliness helps a person to be creative ?

1. countrymen profile image61
    countrymenposted 5 years ago

Does loneliness helps a person to be creative ?

2. ct92 profile image79
    ct92posted 5 years ago

I am not sure that loneliness in itself helps people be more creative, but I think that often more troubled minds are more creative, because in dark periods of life you tend to have a bunch of feelings you need an outlet for.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I think that an argument could be made for lonely/depressed people producing high amounts of creative work. But I would argue that it's based more on our individual initiative than our level of happiness. Perfectly cheerful people can be incredibly creative. Unfortunately, our society lends more artistic merit to things that are depressing, rather than things that are happy.

countrymenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

M. T. Dremer, thanks for giving a different prespective. I do agree with you

4. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

i supose it depends greatly on what your wanting to create,..... you cant sing the blues if you have never been blue,.... or write a poem on the loss of a loved one if you never experience the death of someone close to you.

i think creative people are ALWAYS creating,... they do this while happy and while sad,.... i think the "greatness factor" is when the general public (those who dont create, but instead, consume what is created) makes a deep connection to something that serves as thier outlet for thier own lonelyness.

most people dont need help sorting out thier feelings of joy or happines, and thier are not many apreciable negative consequences in not sorting out, or finding an outlet for feelings of happiness and joy,....

but feelings of lonelyness often do need an outlet, an interpreter, and if one isnt found, lonelyness can lead to depression and worse,.... creative people give the general public, through songs, paintings, etc,... the emotional outlet/interpratation that they cant find themselves.... i'm a big believer in the idea that the radio is often the best therapist.

so NO.... you dont have to be lonely to be creative,... but society will give great merit to the arts that got them through the tough times, far and above the arts that celebrate the good times,... thats just the way it is,... neither right nor wrong.

countrymenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

stclairjack, I select this as the best answer as you explained the idea so neatly. Thanks for answering my question.

2. stclairjack profile image83
      stclairjackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

thank you sir... i am flattered

5. Sri T profile image78
    Sri Tposted 5 years ago

Loneliness can be a negative state of mind. It is associated with the need for people to be around you. However, aloneness is a much better space to be in. It means a person is comfortable being alone. He does not have the nagging need or longing for the presence of others. He has an inner joy and completeness. This state of mind can be extremely blissful and creative. It can be cultivated.