jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Have you read any controversial Books?

1. ThompsonPen profile image80
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

Have you read any controversial Books?

What were they, how did you feel about it? Would you recommend it? Why was it controversial?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Yes, I read the bible everyday. In which many find very controversial.

3. Man of Strength profile image77
    Man of Strengthposted 4 years ago

Yes, I've read the Autobiography of Malcolm X. In some ways it was anti-White and anti-Christian. In the 1960s, he was one of the most controversial figures of that time. He knew before completing the book, that he would be killed at a young age.

1. WalterPoon profile image81
      WalterPoonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

But Malcolm X was not killed by a white nor a Christian. He was killed by his own Muslim brothers. I don't expect a Christian to kill anyone these days but the same cannot be said of Muslims. They seem to be trigger-happy at the drop of a pin.

4. WalterPoon profile image81
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

Controversial to who? To me or to the powers-that-be?

I read Mahathir's "The Malay Dilemma", a racist taunt. It was banned upon publication but I was shown the book by an army officer. When Mahathir became Prime Minister, he lifted the ban, but not after he rewrote the entire book. Is that book still the same controversial book? Not by a long shot. Most of the controversial sections have been rewritten or toned down.

I read D.H. Lawrence's "Lady Chatterley's Lover". Was it a controversial book? The description is not even half as graphic as what Sidney Sheldon writes.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

My friend, Scott Meade, has been considered controversial. He wrote his novel, Twisted Christians, from his perspective as a Messianic Jew. A lot of Christians give bad reviews and criticize his work because his religious beliefs differ from their own. Even though I don't agree with all of his beliefs, I loved the book. Yes, I'd recommend it.

working