jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

When creating List titles, how many is too many?

1. livewithrichard profile image87
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

When creating List titles, how many is too many?

Readers love lists, so when you write an article or blog post that has a list, how do you choose to limit the list in the title?  For example, "16 Unique Ways to Cut Your Toe Nails" or "25 Sure Fire Pick Up Lines That Will Get You Slapped In the Face."  Do you first check the competition, or just go for it?

2. Vinaya Ghimire profile image89
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 4 years ago

It is true that people love numbers. However, I have found that people do not type the number while searching contents. For instance, if someone is looking for ways to cut fat, their search query will be something like this
    how to cut fat
    ways to cut fat
    They will probably not use10, 20, 50 before their key phrase. However, they will click the articles that present numbers.
    When I'm doing an article that has list I normally pick between 7 an 20 points. However, the number depend on the length of the article.
    Recently, I tried to write an article with 100 points. However, I had to cut to 30 because the article was getting longer.

1. livewithrichard profile image87
      livewithrichardposted 4 years agoin reply to this

True, but the number in the title is an enticement.  Do you click on the search result that shows "The best ways to Cut Fat" "5 Ways to Cut Fat" or "The Top 20 Ways to Cut Fat" ?  I usually go with the larger number just to see if I missed anything.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

When I read articles, blogs, etc that are top however many or unique whatever lists, I prefer reading shorter ones. In your example of 25 pick up lines, I'd rather see 5 or 10 with the line and a short story about someone who got slapped because of it. But that's me. I like reading details and not just the list of items.