jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

How to submit writing for publication

1. ThompsonPen profile image81
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

How to submit writing for publication

How do you go about submitting your master piece for publication? I am looking at publishing my novel,and I don't know how to write a letter, should I send the whole thing, just a chapter, a summery, and so on! I need some guidance from you knowledgeable people!

2. profile image0
    anndangoposted 4 years ago

If you know which publisher you want to send it to, go to their website and look at the submission guidelines. Each publisher has different criteria. Usually, though, it's a letter and sample chapters. Many publishers only take agented manuscripts (you have to be represented by an agent who will send it to a publisher), some take unsolicited manuscripts (meaning you don't have to have an agent) and it winds up in the slush pile waiting to be discovered. But check the guidelines. All the best!

1. ThompsonPen profile image81
      ThompsonPenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't even know where to start. I suppose a good way is to look at the fantasy books I do have and look up their publishers and see where that takes me? I'm dubious of agents as I don't have funding to pay them, and don't really know how that works

2. profile image0
      anndangoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's a good place to start - see who the publisher is of books you've read. You can easily look up their website and see what their submission guidelines are. You never have to pay agents - if they ask for money from you, dump them quickly.

3. ThompsonPen profile image81
      ThompsonPenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

ah! good to know about the agents! I"ll look further into it then smile

working