jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What type outline do you use as writer or don't you use one? Common are numerica

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

What type outline do you use as writer or don't you use one? Common are numerical, bubble, dictation

Numerical is numbering all the main and sub points. Bubble is the wheel with points in bubbles - circles. Dictation would be dictating the outline. These are ones familiar to me.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I just write a bunch of chicken scratch notes on a piece of paper to work from and go from there.

3. dahoglund profile image81
    dahoglundposted 4 years ago

It varies for me. If it is something really long I would use numbers or letters for points and sub points. For short stories or articles I might jot down a few main point or ideas but keep the outline in my head or make it up as I go along. Your question mentioned dictating. I used to have to dictate a lot on a job and got the habit of dictating directly into a machine without any outline. That might be how I got into the habit of minimal outlining.

4. profile image59
    retief2000posted 4 years ago

I tend to start numerically and refine that over and over until it becomes much more organic.

5. tsmog profile image80
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

I tend to do what I learned called "free writing". That is just typing single lines of thoughts and etc until a point the mind is emptied. From that I may create a more structured outline for an essay style article. For fiction I create a time line usually with Excel so I can modify as I go along. Sometimes I do a process called mind mapping, yet I tend to do that more with the initial creative process or idea. Again, I structure from that. Poetry is pretty much spontaneous as I tend not to write more than eight 4 line stanzas.

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

When I'm working on my novels, I use a separate piece of paper for each chapter (which I title as dates like in a journal). I start by jotting down the main ideas for the plot for that chapter. As I go along, I'll add things to the outline in the places where I need to mention them. Since I write crime novels, I need to do this to keep track of what lab results need to be mentioned, follow-ups for witness interviews, etc. To me, this way of outlining (I don't know if it even has a name) works best because the separate pages gives me a lot of space to jot down ideas and reminders as I go along. I guess my method is a combination of an outline and notes (research, etc) all rolled into one.

1. profile image59
      retief2000posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I like your method and frequently employ a similar technique when developing a chapter

7. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 4 years ago

I'm afraid my mind is so terribly logical at times, that I usually don't create any outline. Sometimes, though, after I've constructed a hub, I will revise its organization so it "feels" right. ***

8. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

I do not use a written outline. I get an idea and I write. Sometimes I have to rewrite to get a better story. As a old newspaper reporter, there was no time to write an outline of your coverage of a three hour city council meeting where a budget was approved, police chief fired, a long fight and indecision  about a road project. You just sit and type.

I am working on a book. In my mind I have developed the order of what I am going to write, but it is not a piece of fiction.

I do believe if I ever wrote fiction, I would have a brief outline about introducing characters, describing the setting, establishing the plot, developing the obstacles that lead to the desired result and the conclusion.

working