jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are the best dystopian fiction books out there?

1. amc555588 profile image59
    amc555588posted 3 years ago

What are the best dystopian fiction books out there?

2. Elizabeth Bowers profile image80
    Elizabeth Bowersposted 3 years ago

I'm not huge on the whole dystopia thing, mainly because it depresses me, but of the few I've read, I'd definitely say The Hunger Games.  The thing about these books is that they aren't shallow, nor do they cater to what the readers might want.  They're dark, raw, and hard to swallow, making them ideal for a dystopian book.

Another book I've heard a lot about is The Giver, but I hated it when I read it in school.  A lot of people really enjoy it, though.  I'm sticking with The Hunger Games, though.

3. Maffew James profile image97
    Maffew Jamesposted 3 years ago

'A Brave New World' - Aldous Huxley,
    '1984' - George Orwell,
    'A Canticle for Leibowitz' - Walter Miller.

The first two involve fascist government regimes, whilst the third explores religion and knowledge. In 'A Brave New World', the government basically regulates emotion and humanity by drugging them and removing the idea of family, relationships, and harship. 1984 features a more oppressive government that wants to control its citizens to the point of watching them at all times. It's where the terms 'thought-crime' and big brother originated. A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post-apocalyptic dystopia depicting humanity's attempts to rebuild society.

4. Victoria Anne profile image95
    Victoria Anneposted 3 years ago

In no particular order:

A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
    1984 - George Orwell
    Anthem - Ayn Rand

I like all of these books because they deal with social issues. Most of them were actually required reading at my high school.

5. BrunoDSL profile image71
    BrunoDSLposted 3 years ago

Besides Fahrenheit 451, 1984 and A Brave New World, that are incredible, I find Crex and Oryx from Margareth Atwood a really good dystopian.

6. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 3 years ago

"Shades of Gray" by Jasper Fforde It's about a society where everyone is some form of color blind so the colors you can see rank you in the caste system.

It's a love story, a murder mystery, a coming of age novel. It's pretty good.