This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What motivates writers?

1. pattyfloren profile image81
    pattyflorenposted 3 years ago

What motivates writers?

Sometimes when we think about writing about a particular subject, we are inspired by something related to it.  I introduced my subject matter to write about in one particular genre but found other interesting topics along the way.  I was wondering has anyone found their true calling this way.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9082814_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 3 years ago

Some writers make their fame and fortune writing in one genre. However, often their best work, which may go unnoticed may be in another genre.

I am not a novelist or even a short story writer. I am interested in writing columns, essays and personal reflections. The idea of writing a novel or short story has crossed my mind, but the best seller has not appeared to be.

Thus, I write what I want to write, when I want to do it. My wife has some favorite authors who write in a particular genre, but she will grow tried of many of them after awhile because often such writers become formula writers, changing the setting, the characters and even the conflict that prompts the story, but alas all the stories are very similar.

This is one reason I rather read short stories instead of novels. Sometimes novels have detail that just make the book longer and not better.

So the answer your question of what motivates writers I would have to give the somewhat lame answer of whatever motivates them. In other words, writers will usually write about subjects in which they have a particular interest, a desire to learn more about that subject or some personal experience that becomes a story they want to tell.

pattyflorenposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree because of something that sparked our interest and wanting to know more about it.  Thanks for commenting.

3. Foodeee profile image78
    Foodeeeposted 3 years ago

I think passion is what fuels good writers.
    I have often thought I felt passionate about a subject and then half way through the project, the fire leaves and I find myself left with a ho-hum attitude. They usually lay partially finished tucked away in computer's document section.
    I have found while writing about one thing, I tend to find excitement in something else. I hope that is a common trend or chalk one more to the weird column. 

But overall passion about what you want to express is what fuels me.

It would be less effortless when we find enough good material to write about when your passion is at its best.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image93
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

When I first started, I was motivated by the love of the story. I would experience a narrative in some form (book, video game, movie) and I would enjoy it so much that I wanted more of it. So I would start from that point and create my own story extending on that world I loved. I suppose you could say they were inspired by existing stories, but they eventually took on a life of their own.

Now-a-days, however, I seem to be more motivated by guilt than anything else. I've put all of my eggs into one basket and the pressure to prove myself, and be successful, gets heavier every day. I hope to reconnect with my original inspirations, but for now I'm going forward, mostly on guilt fuel.

I hear what you're saying.  I get discouraged but I want to keep writing.

5. Melissa Noon profile image77
    Melissa Noonposted 3 years ago

Sometimes for me, what motivates me the most is by just by watching other people or by looking at a object or a normal social environment and find a way to twist it into a genre of my liking.

I have written a lot of different genre but still kind of gets drawn back into crime and horror. It is a calling so when a object calls to me to write a story out of it, I make it a fun game to see what I can do with the object to make it scary or depressing. Sometimes I think of things like a simple dinner and wonder about the family sitting down and eating and that motivates me to write. Regardless I still find myself writing outside my genre and that is a interesting practice which I think all writers, both professional and novice, should do to keep their writing fresh.

A lot of reading that leads?

6. profile image81
    jb-jacobsposted 8 months ago

Real life inspires me. One of my favorite pass times is people watching. I can read the body language of people and for a brief moment in time I am connected. Good or bad responses to this encounter spark my creativity to write a story or gather info for character traits.

pattyflorenposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Sounds as if you have a gift!  Thanks for commenting J B Jacobs.

working