jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you find it strange to stumble over words that you're visually familiar with

1. pattyfloren profile image79
    pattyflorenposted 10 months ago

Do you find it strange to stumble over words that you're visually familiar with in thought?

What I am getting at is you can see the picture of the word, know what the word stands for, but can not pronounce the word?  When I was a child I did childish things, but when I became a man I put away childish things.

2. Jeremy Gill profile image96
    Jeremy Gillposted 10 months ago

Hi Patty. I experience this from time to time. For me, it occurs in groups of unfamiliar people, where I can get nervous and stumble over my words.

That might be a bit different from what you describe, but it's a similar concept. Some people also just struggle with hard-to-say words like anemone.

1. pattyfloren profile image79
      pattyflorenposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I agree, especially when its speaking in public or with people who have other friends with them.  My word was hydrangeas.

3. RTalloni profile image89
    RTalloniposted 9 months ago

Yes!  I see words in my head before I say them and will say them phonetically if I am not careful.  It can be embarrassing because it can slow my speech down and some mispronunciations me seem like I am trying to say a word I do not know, leaving me wanting to say, "No, wait, I really do know that word!"  Stumbling over the word vignette when working with a client when discussing a child's mural was one of the worst... Oh well.  Worse things have happened.

4. pattyfloren profile image79
    pattyflorenposted 9 months ago

I hear ya.  It feels good when I can pronounce every word and know something about that word.  Thanks for your response RTalloni.

working