- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
Do you write steal worthy content? 3 good Reasons why you should create content worth copying
Writing Good Content which attracts Content Scrapers and Plagiarists
Is your content worth stealing? If it is not, then you should start writing steal worthy content. Confused? You think I have gone mad? I have my reasons for saying so.
What does it mean to write content worth copying? Steal worthy content just means good content which is appealing to those who see them.It means creating content which provides great value to your readers and is worthy of being stolen. It means writing articles or blog posts which are appealing to content thieves. Writing such content means that you have succeeded in doing your job with those who see them.
Content theft is becoming a huge problem to writers these days. It is sad to see Content thieves stealing the work which has taken us a considerable amount of research and efforts. Content Thieves can be divided in two categories, content scrapers and plagiarists. Content scrapers are those who steal posts from other people and republish it on their blog using tools like the Auto Blogged WordPress plugin which allows one to scrap content from the RSS feeds of others and insert it into their blog. Most of the time, the content scrapers also would steal your bandwidth by displaying the images on your site on theirs which is also a serious issue. Content scrapers display ads on their Blog so that they can make some quick buck with other peoples content. Most of the times they also link back to the source hoping that no action is taken against them by the real owners.However,Writers are more or less unaffected because of the duplicate content detection system which would rank the original content above the stolen one. Because of this, it may not affect the visibility of the content.
Plagiarists are those who partially or fully steal your content and publish it in their websites or blogs without giving you credit. While some plagiarists may apologize and remove your content when you notify them about it, some may not respond to you and continue stealing content as it is their birth right. However, writers are protected under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) which allows one to send a notice about the content theft to his revenue partners like Google and the web host who can take appropriate action against the content thief. Sometimes, sending a DMCA notice may just do the trick and the thief may remove your content from the site. But sometimes, one has to resort to legal action against the plagiarist for removal of content and damages.
Now that I have given a brief explanation of content theft and content thieves, I am sure that you are wondering why I am saying that we should publish content worth stealing. Given below are my reasons why it is beneficial to create good content worth copying.
6 Free Online Plagiarism Checkers for finding Duplicate Content
Benefits of writing good content worth stealing
Why should you Create Steal Worthy Content? What are the benefits of writing such content? Given below are my reasons to write steal worthy content.
1) Content worth stealing can give you an ego boost. It is a proof that you are successful as a writer. Good content not only attract content thieves, it is also a winner with everyone. When you write content which appeals to content thieves, you are also providing great value to your readers. Good content attracts organic links and also earns you name, fame and money through social media mentions. If you write good content, you may also get hired by people who need good content writers for their websites or blogs. Personally, it is my writing and contacts with the entertainment industry which got me the Ghost Blogging job for a top Bollywood Celebrity apart from handling the facebook and twitter accounts on behalf of the celebrity. I keep getting so many such offers that I have decided to undergo the social media manager training.
2) Content worth stealing can get you noticed by those who matters. A few months back I found some of my content been stolen by a religious website and contacted the site through the contact form. The website owner immediately got back to me using my phone number in the form. He apologized and informed me that he was not aware of the situation as he had hired some writers to do the writing. He assured me that the content would be removed immediately. He was a spiritual guru. As we talked, he was impressed by my knowledge that he invited me to his ashram. He offered me the job of writing content for his website, translation of his book in regional language to English and promotion of his site through social media. Similarly, I have got many freelance writing offers after I notified of content theft. I often put bait telling that if he/she wishes I can write content at a price. Another incident happened a week back. I was looking for a product review and found a scraper site which had stolen the content from a review site. I informed the owner of the site by leaving a comment on his post. The owner emailed to thank me and offered the job of editor and promoter of his site with a profit share. Next time you spot stolen content, make sure that you notify the owner, who knows you could get lucky like me.
3) Sometimes content theft can be a quick way of minting money for the actual writer. I have known many people who have ended up paying a high price for stealing the content of others, apart from being looked down by others. By talking the short cut of stealing content, the content thief sometimes ruins his own reputation. It is not a pleasant experience to be viewed by others as a thief. Many content thefts may not get noticed and the thief may roam around Scot free. But sometimes the thieves end up paying damages and losing their revenue source as a result of the deed.
So, have I convinced you that writing steal worthy content can be beneficial? Do you have an experience to share on this regard? Feel free to add them through comments.
You may like to read
- You cannot be me by stealing my Content : A friendly letter to the Content Scraper and Plagiarist
Check out my letter and tips on dealing with Content Scrapers and Plagiarists.
© 2012 Anamika S