11 Ways a Zen Garden will be a Perfect Beach Wedding Theme - Rock Garden Décor
Mini Zen Garden Favor
11 Ways to Make a Japanese Garden wedding theme
What does a Japanese garden, Zen, a beach wedding theme and Shabby Chic style have in common? Feng Shui philosphy and...
A whole new way to celebrate your wedding in a spiritual, earthly style with guests walking away with sweet memories after a truly calm happy ceremony.
Zen is your soul represented in earth elements, shabby chic style has an earthly aspect to décor that is comforting. The sand and the rocks are represented in zen gardens and on a beach; what a perfect way to share a harmonious gathering on the beach.
Rachel Ashwell is one of the best gift givers in the world in my opinion and combines Zen philosphy in her life. Her words on mature roses, "...is truly indicative of Zen and Shabby Chic philosphy of accepting life as it is and appreciating beauty in every stage of existence." Your wedding is the perfect place to "accept life and appreciate beauty". Incorporate the philosophy: Simplicity, minimalist, focus on nature, balance and placement.
1. Work with a Feng Shui consultant in coordination with your wedding planner and ensure they can successfully work together. "willingness to design the wedding around zen and feng shui" for the perfect balance and placement of everything. I found Wine Country Party & Events basis their event planning on feng shui and offers an onine questionaire you can complete and receive a consult (check the site for consulting fees). View the slide show too, it answers many questions about incorporating the elements into an event.
2. Incorporate the 5 elements into the décor - wood, metal, fire, water, and earth. For a beach wedding theme, this is pretty easy to represent the elements. Wooden chairs, wooden tiki torches for both wood and fire. Candles within containers to ensure they remain lit during the ceremony. Water you will have next to the beach and earth you are standing on. Use Zen Rock décor to represent earth and to hold down your table clothes! Your wedding rings will be the metal, along with cake servers, silverware and napkin rings.
3. Use calm subtle colors and less is better in most of your décor. Everything should look and feel balanced, from décor to the lighting to the food. This is a great opportunity to have eco friendly items where you can. Recycle everything you can including the food that can be incorporated into a compost pile or offered to a pig farmer. Make sure the décor and accessories are reusable items when you can. Use items found in nature, incorporate those colors throughout.
COLORS: Black and White, greens, yellows, orange, turquoise, tan purple, pink, red and greys.
4. Placement is key. Refer to Feng Shui rules on placement of items to ensure each is setup in the approriate north, south, east and west locations for the most effective flow of energy, meanings and well wishes.There are phone apps that offer Life compass and feng shui related guides to further assist with colors and placement of items.
5. Represent life in all of its stages in your décor, cake and floral arrangements. This is a great opportunity to include photographs of the bride and groom, their families and weddings. Represent from childhood forward when you can. It also means flowers in their different stages of bloom. You already have people in all stages of life and that is wonderful. Writing your own wedding vows tells a story of your beginning and why you are together now and forever.
FLOWERS: chrysanthemums, plum blossom, single lotus, orchids, jasmine, narcissus, hyacinths and magpie.
6. Venue and table décor - The venue can be on the beach, in a yard or anywhere outdoors or where you can incorporate the theme. It may be a lake, pond or park. Leave yourself open to more than just a beach destination. Try river rocks that hold a single flower, seashells and small rocks in water in clear containers. Bamboo plants and décor, truly any kind of flowers you prefer for your wedding colors. Moss would be a delicate simple addition.Keep comfort in mind, add soft white cusions to chairs or for seating during the wedding reception.
7. Gifts and favors - mini zen garden - personalized. A mini rock garden to take home is a wonderful and reusable gift for guests. I also like the idea of giving fresh flowers as favors. Wrap them in pretty paper with seashells hanging from ribbon. Or a box of beautiful gift tags that represent zen gardens, the beach and flowers. Some people give out sunglasses, flip flops for the beach or paper fans (although some islands are windy and the fan maybe unnesessary). Gift bonsai tree seeds are another option for favor gifts. Offer mini or full sized spa sets for your wedding party. gifts with feathers, jade, dove or pigeon are all for good luck. Homeade money tree or lucky red money envelopes are all considerations to represent good fortune for you both. Gift tea (any kind of green teas or specialty teas, one or two per person).
GIFTS: mini zen gardens, bonsai tree seeds, wrapped fresh flowers, tea, sunglasses, flip flops, paper fans, spa sets, feathers, jade, money tree, lucky red envelopes.
8. Food - American food in Japanese or chineses style presentation will compliment. Include healthy choices that is beautiful to the eye. You can take any heritage of food you love and present it in Japanese style or like fancy hor derves. Try some eco-friendly foods. Reduce waste when possible. This is another opportunity to represent the 5 elements, expressed through food. Again, Wine Country Party & Events slide show covers how certain foods relate and represent each element. (see our website for a link to this information)
9. Wedding paper products can represent the overall theme with anything that looks and feels calm, simple, beach items, or japanese styles. Orchids, bamboo, seashells, bonsai tree, japanese or chinese lettering, anything floral are options for invitations, place cards, escort cards and menus.
10. Honeymoon on a beach, make sure you get some spa time and massages to really finish off the zen theme and leave peaceful and happy together. You may find a similar experience near a major lake, or if it is a regular hotel, make sure it has a swimming pool and hot tube or juccuzi in the room with spa services near by or contracted to the hotel.
11. Photography. This is a perfect theme for story telling photographers, the ones that capture momments and not just traditional wedding photographs and poses. This is a theme meant for "as things happen, let them happen and enjoy and appreciate it all and everyone that is sharing the day with you."
Disclaimer: Zen gardens with rocks and small objects. This is a potential choking hazard and is not for children or for people with small animals that can chock on the rocks or plastic bags. Recommend guests with these conerns take the gift to work or offer another favor for people that are unable to take the mini zen garden home. The flowers wrapped in pretty paper or a food treat is a great alternate favor to gift. Some couples offer sunglasses or shoe thongs to walk in the sand as favors.
Books I recommend that will help you research and gather inspiration for your beach wedding:
Feng Shui Dos & Taboos by Angi Ma Wong
Shabby Chic, The Gift of Giving by Rachel Ashwell
By Brenda Green, owner A Wedding Theme. (c) 2012 Zen Island Sands Collection (c)
I purchased the flowers from Village Gardens in Blue Springs, Missouri and the River Rocks from Randy's Nursery in Lee's Summit, Missouri.
Japanes Garden Wedding Favors and Decor
Zen Rock Wedding Table Decor Idea
japanese gardens, zen and Beach wedding theme
Feng Shui book to understand placement of zen items.
Butterfly Release for Weddings
- Live Butterflies Released for Wedding Ceremonies
Live butterfly release for weddings. Video guide to plan for live butterfly release for weddings and other events. Types or style of releasing the monarch butterflies and care of. How to involve guests and children and your photographer or just have