35 Practical Baking Soda Uses For The Home
Cheap, Easy & Chemical Free!
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) has so many beneficial uses in and around the home.
You don't need to go out and spend your money on a load of different cleaners to get the job done...all you need is one inexpensive and non-toxic product - baking soda!
In the Kitchen:
Fruit and Vegetables:
- In a large bowl sprinkle some baking soda in water, soak produce then.
- Wash out garbage cans with baking soda and water.
- Place an open container of baking soda in your refrigerator and freezer to absorb odors. Every couple of weeks stir and turn over the baking soda, and replace every 2 months.
- Sprinkle some baking soda in the bottom of your dishwasher to eliminate odors.
- Rinse out thermos bottles and coolers with baking soda and water to eliminate stale smells.
- Keep your sponge smelling fresh by soaking it overnight in 2 Tablespoons of baking soda and 2 cups of water. Rinse with water and squeeze clean in the morning.
- Scrub stains off of Formica, marble or plastic counter tops with a baking soda paste mixed with water.
- Soak pans with burned on food in baking soda and water for 10 minutes prior to washing them. Alternatively, scrub the pan with dry baking soda and a moist scouring pad. For pans with built up burned on food turn pan over and pour a thick layer of baking soda on the bottom of the pan; using a spray bottle, spay a bit of water on the pan and baking soda so as just to moisten it. Leave the pan to sit overnight, and then scrub and wash the next day.
- Clean off cooked-on grease stains from your stove-top. Wet down the stained area and cover with baking soda. Let sit for 5-10 minutes then scrub off with a sponge or scrubber.
- Remove tarnish stains from silverware by rubbing it with dry baking soda and a damp cloth. Rinse and dry the silverware after cleaning.
- Get rid of tea and or coffee stains from china and coffee cups. Wash dishes with a paste of baking soda and water, then rinse clean.
- Wash your refrigerator and freezer with a moist cloth or sponge and dry baking soda. Wipe clean with water.
- Wash Tupperware, food and drink containers, and baby bottles with baking soda and hot water.
- Run your coffee maker through its normal cycle using baking soda and water. Clean coffee pots (glass and stainless steel) with 3 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 quart of water.
- Run your dishwasher through its normal cycle with no dishes, using baking soda instead of dish washing detergent.
- Clean your plastic or wooden cutting board by scrubbing it with baking soda and a bit of water.
- Clean off cooked on splatters from your microwave. In a microwave-safe container add 2 Tablespoons of baking soda and 1 cup of water; cook on high for 3 minutes. Take out the container and use the heated solution to wipe clean the inside of your microwave.
- Soak and wash cloth baby diapers with baking soda and water.
- Clothing stained with oil or grease will come out cleaner when washed with baking soda in the laundry.
- Always add 1/2 cup baking soda to your washing machine load to remove odors from clothes.
Around the House:
- Cover the bottom of a clean kitty litter box with baking soda, then cover with fresh kitty litter.
- Sprinkle baking soda on carpets, let sit for 15 minutes and then vacuum up.
- Sprinkle baking soda in socks, slippers, tennis shoes, and boots to get rid of foot odor.
- Remove baby spit up smell on clothes by rubbing a bit of baking soda on your shirt with a damp cloth.
- Clean ashtrays with baking soda and water. Sprinkle baking soda in ashtrays to prevent smoldering and to cut down on odor.
- Get rid of cigarette odor from cloth furniture by sprinkling on and letting sit for a few hours, then vacuum.
- Wash hairbrushes and combs in baking soda with water.
- Clean your bathroom fixtures (sink, tub, shower, tile, toilet) with some baking soda on a damp sponge.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of baking soda to drains and flush with hot water to clean and get rid of build up.
- Clean shower curtains weekly by soaking them in baking soda and water.
- Clean marble, porcelain, glass, plastic with baking soda sprinkled on a damp sponge or cloth. Wipe clean with just water.
- Clean barbecue by sprinkling baking soda on the grill, letting sit for a while, then scrubbing. Rinse with water after.
- Clean grease off of anything, including a garage floor by sprinkling baking soda on it, letting it sit, scrubbing and rinsing clean.
- Polish and clean stainless steel and chrome by rubbing with baking soda and a damp cloth or sponge. Rinse clean with water. For stainless steel be sure to wipe with the grain.
- Remove smoke stains from fireplace bricks by scrubbing with 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 quart of warm water.
Looking For More Helpful Information?
- Find Out For Free
Home health remedies you always wanted to know for FREE. We will never charge you for our information. Anything you learn on this site will cost you nothing. We are not trying to profit from you, we just want to share what we know!