- Garden Design
Create Personalized Lawn Art for Your Yard
The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.— Aristotle
Thank you, Aristotle. You got it right. Just as we say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder this statement can be said of art.
As art emerges whether it is created by us or by others, it does reflect some feeling or idea that may be significant to the creator of it. We get a sense perhaps of their inner thoughts and feelings but we too find some inner stirrings as we view those pieces.
Not each piece of art will affect each of us in the same way. Does that mean it is not 'art'?
Not being a renowned artist or art critic, what I think and say may be of little import to those who read. But one thing is for sure: I know what I like and respond to that which makes me feel. All types of art from the most simple to the most complex can produce that result for me.
Creating these posts for your garden and for gifts will allow you to express some of the artist hidden within waiting to be exposed.
For Those Who Fancy Steampunk...
Whimsy on the Lawn
Our lawns and flower gardens often are one of the ways we express our creative side. Whether is is how we arrange the plants and flowers in the yard or how we add lawn art to the landscape, it is a reflection of who we are.
Whimsical lawn art creations give some of us the opportunity to show the fun side we may not show all of the time.
To some, anything in the yard that is not a natural creation is taboo. And that is as it should be. Each of us has to create our own 'paradise' that reflects how we see 'art.'
So, if you have a soft spot for fun and whimsy in your yard, you may wish to consider making some of these posts that my daughter has made recently.
Recycling, Upcycling, Repurposing ....Whatever You Call It....You May Find Yourself Doing What HE Does...
What You Need
To create your own posts for your yard, you will need:
- a 2 x 4 (can be whatever height you desire....these are about 4 1/2 feet tall)
- paint in various colors (exterior)...confer with your paint expert at your local paint shop or at Lowe's or Home Depot
- an assortment of brushes
- acrylic spray/or other finish to seal your finished paint
- screws, nails, hammer, screwdriver
- odds and ends that you may wish to attach to the post when it is complete
- a saw may be needed if you do not have the wood cut prior to bringing it home
- a bushel basket full of fun and imagination
Unexpected and Clever
After all materials are assembled, you can begin.
- Select a color to paint the entire piece of your wood that is your canvas for your creation. if you wish...as you will notice a background was not painted on each of these posts. That is entirely up to you.
- Paint it, let it dry, and paint again so you have a nice even coat. Let dry the second time overnight.
- Now, you are ready to show your creative side.
- Select a 'theme' for your post. Will it be all about nature? You decide.
- Sketch your ideas on your post. You do not need to have design on all four sides but you can.
- Select items you may wish to attach to the post and plan where they will be attached.
Sea Turtles are a Favorite of My Daughter
Now, then, Let's Continue
All of the ground work and preparation have been taken care of so now you are ready to begin.
- Using the paints you have chosen, you can now paint the images you have sketched or that will come forth as you are working.
- If you are attaching items to the post too, be sure to envision them in their spot as you are working so that they will become a part of your finished work and not look like they are just thrown on at the last minute.
- After all painting and attaching of items that you wish to add has been taken care of, let your post dry for several hours.
- Then apply acrylic spray or brush on the substance you have selected to seal your work against the weather it will be exposed to once it becomes part of your landscaped lawn and garden.
- You can attached bottom to it so that it is stands (making an X out of two pieces of wood and attaching to the base) if desired.
The posts shown in the photos are planted in the ground; and I wired mine to the fence with thin wire temporarily. I am going to put a hook on the back so that I can 'hide' the wire from view by attaching it to the hook but I was anxious to get it up so have not done so. (Yes, the little hook and wire will be visible from the other side of the fence.)
Never Too Many Sea Turtles for My Daughter
Selecting Your Theme or Themes
You may wish to select a theme for your posts that will carry through on all of them that you create. Or, you may use a different idea for each one.
These posts came to life out of my daughter's vision. She chose to create them to add some charm and accents to her lawn and flower beds.
The colors she chose are reflective of her personality: purple (all shades) are among her favoirte and the yellow is reflective of her sunny disposition.
Metal Works Art from Junk
There are so many other ways to add fun to your lawn. If metal working and creating things from scrap and junk metal is your thing, then what are you waiting for.
The two videos that were selected show clever ways that metal has come together to add a new bit of interest to your lawn.
You may get some good ideas from viewing the videos and you definitely will get a few smiles!!!
Favorite Post #1...Steampunk
Two of the posts emerged as favorites.
One is the Steampunk post and the other is the Family post.
The very first post shown in this hub has a Steampunk theme. If you are not aware of Steampunk, you can find all about it at http://www.steampunk.com/
The goggles she used as an accent are actually the inexpensive plastic type you can pick up most anywhere. She spray painted them to give them a bit of character.
The bugle is just one she found at a yard sale and added a bit more fun to the piece.
Hearts of Love on the Family Post
Favorite Post # 2 ....The Family Post
The family post is mine. My daughter created it for her yard but it became my Mother's Day present.
So, as she was creating the posts her precious little son, my youngest grandson, was in the crafting room with her the entire time.(It is actually a section of your very spacious two car garage that is not used for cars).
As she was working on the post, that she had decided would be the 'family' post, Little Man would come over and check on the progress.
On the one side you will see the fanciful birds that she painted.
Since there are four of them, two boys, Daddy, and Mommy, she painted four birds.
And Little Man was very excited about them. But he asked, "Where is the Nini bird?" (He calls me Nini...). So a Nini bird was added even though I do not live in their house.
You must know how touched I am by this and that I did shed a few tears as she told me this.
This post sits proudly in my flower bed and I cannot pass it without smiling.
How loved I feel...what a precious Mother's Day present.
Relax and Enjoy the Natural Setting ...Augmented Perhaps with Creations You Adore
"Home" for the Little Bird Family on the Post
Simple and Fun
This is a relatively simple DIY project to do. And one that can be completed by your children as well.
It does not have to be expensive either. The wood used for these was from the bunk bed that Daddy had made for my eldest grandson. So the wood was repurposed and now adorns our lawn.
Have fun with this.
Use whatever wood that you have available. Make it as rustic as you care to. Personalize it so that it is a reflection of a part of your life and a the lives of your family. But most of all, make it fun.
Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.— Thomas Merton
Yes It Does
Not that I need to add one tiny word to what Thomas Merton said but I agree, 100%. Lost and found all wrapped up in the art we experience.
Family Post including Nini Bird
Chaunticleer...My Very Own Metal Art from Barberville Florida
Included also are some other yard decor that you may wish to consider ....scroll through the following photos for ideas.
Close-up of a Birdfeeder
Functional Yard Art
© 2015 Patricia Scott