Ultimate Questions List for Finding the Right Home
Searching for a suitable home is challenging since there are numerous characteristics to consider. Moreover, when your attention is focused on the highlighted and obvious characteristics, it can be difficult to determine what things you overlooked.
So, without further ado, here is an ultimate questions list to finding a home that balances safety, affordability, and comfortability.
Feel free to print out this list and rate each question's importance on a 5-point scale, with 1 being "not really important" and 5 being "very important".
Also, do not be afraid to learn as much as you can about the home that you're investigating; it is good to know more about it in order to have a clear vision of what it is like to live there.
Structure and foundation
- Are there any cracks, holes, and signs of crumbling?
- Are there any water damages, molds, and stains?
- Are there signs of warping (e.x. sloping, sagging, and buckling) on the floors, walls, and ceilings?
- Are there elements in the home that may or will induce health problems (e.x. asbestos)?
- Does the front door have a peep hole?
- Does the front door have additional locks?
- Are there gates, walls, or fences surrounding the home?
- Is there a way to contact the management?
- Are there security alarms, fire alarms, and smoke detectors? If so, what types?
- Are the other entrances into the home (e.x. balcony, patio, backyard, and garage) secured?
Population and community
- What kind of people live near the home?
- If there's a screening process, what is it like?
- Is the area populous?
Emergency and health needs
- Where are the police stations, fire stations, hospitals, and pharmacies?
- Where are the fire exits?
- Can the windows be opened, or are they sealed shut?
- If you get locked out, is there a spare key available and a number you can call?
Crime profile of the area
- What kinds of crime activities occur there?
- How often do crimes occur?
- Has public security improved while the occurrence of crime activities worsened?
- Do you feel safe with the streets (e.x. streetlights, alleyways, and public phones)?
- Has the owner done the necessary pest inspections?
- Are there bugs present inside or outside the house?
- Are there potential areas where bugs might inhabit (e.x. dirty areas, dark areas, and holes)?
- Does the total amount you spend on the home meet your budget?
- Will you have enough pocket money to spend on other necessities and wants?
- What will happen to the home's price in the future?
Renovations and fixtures
- Does the home require renovations?
- Is it possible to do renovations?
- If you do renovations, how will it affect the value of the home?
- What fixtures can the landlord provide for the home?
- Is the home furnished or unfurnished?
- How much money do you have to spend to move (e.x. home moving services and travelling)?
- What is the decorating policy?
- What payment options does the landlord accept?
- Are you on-time or late with your payments? If you're late with your payments, how much is the late fee?
- If I have to suddenly leave either before I move in or during mid-contract, how much do I have to pay?
- Is each room spacious?
- Are there enough rooms?
- What kinds of rooms are there?
- What's the temperature like indoors and outdoors?
- Is there central air conditioning? If so, can you control it?
- Are there restaurants in the area?
- Do you like the food offered at the restaurants?
- Are the prices of the dishes good?
- Is the home located in a pet-friendly community?
- Is there a vet clinic, pet store, and daycare in the area?
- Do you invite people over?
- Do you have a romantic partner? If not, are you interested in having a romantic partner?
- Do you have children? If not, are you interested in having children?
- Are you going to have a roommate or multiple roommates? If so, are you okay with him/her/them?
- Do you like your neighbors?
Transportation and parking
- What modes of transportations are available in the area (e.x. bus, bike, subway, taxi, car, and plane)?
- Does the home have a garage? If not, are there parking lots near it?
- Is there a place within the home to store your bike at? If not, are there bike racks nearby?
- Where are the parks, libraries, clubs, hobby stores, and pools?
- How often will I spend my leisure time outside the home?
- Do I have relatives and friends who live near this home?
If you would like to add-on to or change on this list, please feel free to note that in the comments section below.
© 2016 mcttan