- Home Appliances»
- Kitchen Appliances»
- Garbage Disposal
Garbage Disposal stinky
Some ways to reduce Odors
You located some odors coming from your Garbage Disposal unit. What can you do? Here are some suggestions:
1. Dump 1/2 cup of salt into the unit and then run the cold water, and start the unit. The salt will do two things a) Neutralize the odors b) Dislodge and clean the unit (abrasive action of the salt crystals)
2. After using the salt treatment, dump in some lemon or orange peels (small chunks as larger peels can clog or cause problems). Using lemon/orange peels at least once month. They will also give a fresh citrus smell in the kitchen.
3. Another method to freshen your disposal unit, and sanitize it too. Mix equal parts of water and vinegar in a bowl, and then pour in an ice cube tray and freeze. Use a couple of cubes about every week, followed by a rinse. As your disposal breaks up the cubes, the food particles will be dislodged, plus there will be some melting and spaying the mixture around the unit.
4. Still another method is to pour 3 tablespoons down the drain, and let it sit for 1 hour. Then turn on the unit, and flush with hot water from the tap. Do this every couple of weeks.
5. This method is more to help with a sluggish disposal unit, as a result of grease built up. Pour some ice cubes down into the unit, and turn it on. The grease will cling to the ice. However as noted in suggestion 3, if you use a mixture of vinegar you get a bonus of cleaning and sanitizing the unit too.