- Real Estate
Home Buyer's Checklist
Whether you are a first time home buyer, moving up to a larger home, downsizing or simply relocating there are some basic steps you’ll want to take to keep things on track.
1. Get Pre-approved- find out how much you can comfortably borrow (if you are getting a loan).
2. Start your online search (zillow, trulia, realtor.com, agent sites, mls sites, yahoo and so on).
3. Get a buyer’s agent to search for you as well.
4. Have your buyer’s agent schedule appointments and gather additional info.
5. Go look! This is the fun part!!! -
6. Make an offer w/Earnest Money.
7. Contract accepted and Earnest money is held in a trust or escrow account.
8. Get your Home Inspections done in the first 5-10 days.
9. Notify lender that you’re sticking with it.
10. If you required repairs of the seller, or if your appraisal required repairs, check on them as early as possible.Allow time in advance of closing for the seller to correct issues with those repairs.DON’T wait until the day before closing to see if they fixed that problem!!
11. Do a final walk through 1-2 days before closing.
12. Order utilities in your name- ask your agent for any possible referrals on tv/internet.
13. Go to closing!!Sign papers…..
14. MOVE IN and enjoy!!!!
This is a generic list…it may have additional things depending on the type of saleIt’s meant as a guide to get y. ou on a basic timeline.If you’re working with an agent they should be able to guide you through all the steps needed to make this happen.Probably the one thing that I’ve seen people do out of order most is …they start searching and even start LOOKING at houses before they have talked with a lender and have no idea what they can afford.The WORST most depressing thing you can do is fall in love with a house then find out that it is just out of your price range.Don’t look until you know your price range.