Bedroom Designs - How To Decorate A Teen's Bedroom
Your son or daughter has grown up and now it's time for a new bedroom design to fit their style. You knew the day would come. The pastel pink bedroom with ruffled curtains and dollhouse border wallpaper wouldn't last forever. Or, the walls painted the same color as a basketball with a light fixture that had a basketball hoop attached...such a cute decor.
Now your child has a whole new set of ideas - usually crazy ones! My kids went through various stages of likes and dislikes. If you don't want to be painting walls all of the time, I would suggest picking a color that can go with the changes. Continuous bedroom makeovers can be expensive. I have heard of a child wanting black walls once. I would have recommended black accents since black is a hard color to cover when you want to change.
Let your child be creative as much as possible. It's their space and they should feel comfortable. Decorating bedrooms is something a lot of teens want a voice in. You can help them put the flow together if they need help. Find out what their interests are and help them to find unique items to showcase those interests.
Most teens are happy with posters, collage picture frames, bulletin boards or anything they can use to display their personal items and pictures. Decorating doesn't have to be expensive.
A fun workspace to do homework is popular in teen's rooms. Anything to make homework seem more inviting! Lots of comfy pillows on their bed is also popular. Personal and comfortable are the two key ingredients.
My oldest daughter had chosen gold walls for her bedroom. When she had the room, it was decorated with a lot of bright colors - accent pillows were orange and turquoise, bulleting board in orange...It actually went together quite nicely.
When she moved out, my second daughter wanted to switch rooms. Her room had been a very light, neutral mauvy pink. She is very girlie girl so I was surprised when she wanted to switch rooms. But, it was the teenager thing and she had some wilder ideas!
We decided to accent with a lot of black and white. Some of her girlie accents, like the shoe and gown pillows and the purse print, started to fit right in. Since she is a camera buff, we used one entire wall to highlight her work. I put some of her favorite photos, that she had taken, into matching frames and hung them up. Then to personalize to more, we had a sign made, like a street sign, that said "photography by my daughter's name.
We threw in a little bit of red details and the room came alive.
The built in desk made a great place to do homework. It was made inviting with plenty of friendly photos. If you notice the "leg" of the desk - it is a camera tripod. Since she was so interested in photography, it tied in well with the room.
Once you get the room decorated, just shut the door. Most of the time it won't look picture perfect. A teenager can happily live amidst a pile of clothes, papers and who knows what else. At least you know that underneath is a happy place!
Ways To Organize A Bedroom
- A shoe rack or stand at the bottom of the closet is a great way to keep shoes in order and in pairs. It beats having to search endlessly for the missing shoe amongst the mess on the closet floor.
- Having a laundry hamper or basket is a must for dirty clothes. Nothing is worse than the pile of clean clothes, that didn't get put away, getting mixed up with all the dirty clothes on the floor. A hamper should make it easier to just throw the dirty clothes in right away.
- A bookshelf can be used for more than just storing books. Although it is a great place for those books, it also can be used to store baskets filled with smaller items such as Cd's, make-up, jewelry, keys, cards, etc...The top of a bookshelf is also a great place for a stereo.
- Magazine racks will keep magazines tidy and off the floor. A tiered wall file holder works well for holding lots of magazines or other papers.
- A trash can is highly necessary. Since trash seems to accumulate in a teen's room, they need a proper place to put it.
- If they have a desk, then desk organizational items will come in handy. A pencil cup for pens and pencils, a cd holder, a bulletin board, a paper tray and some kind of piggy bank for all of their change.
How would you rate your teen for room cleanliness?
More Interior Design
- Wall Art - How To Make Your Own Photo Gallery
Turn your digital photos into a photo gallery of your own making using Adobe Photoshop software. Travel photos are a great place to start for affordable wall art.
- Home Office Decor To Calm Away Stress
I find I can do some of my best thinking during some quiet time outside. Whether it be a walk in the woods or down a beach, the calming affects of nature allow my mind to go free. I feel like if I could...
- Bamboo Flooring - Going Green With Natural Flooring
With everyone's concern over the environment, sales of natural flooring materials are booming. Bamboo flooring has become extremely popular. It has a similar look of a traditional wood floor but without...
- Custom Window Coverings -Sewing Window Treatments With Whimsy
Blinds and window treatments can be perked up with a little customization. If you can sew or try some of my whimsical ideas, you will have your own custom window treatments.
- Budget Decorating - Dust Off and Display
Interior decorating on a budget is easy when you use what you have. Use my decorating tips to display your treasures in a picture perfect setting.
- New Home Construction - Choosing The Interior
It can be mind boggling when you are building a house and you have so many decisions to make. All of your interior design ideas such as wall paint and flooring should be kept in a notebook.
- Living Room Designs - Personalize Your Space
Your home should reflect who you are, so decorate with things you love. Even if your favorite things are offbeat and unexpected, you can place them in your room to really add character. What fun is it to...
- Paint For Effect: Make A Zesty Nest
When choosing your interior paint colors, it is important to know which colors have an impact on elevating mood. Learn the best color choices for each are of your house.
- Budget Decorating - Creating A Rustic Bar Scene
Whether you are looking for log cabin decor or a rustic setting, guests will appreciate a cozy lodge ambience. Whether serving coffee or something a bit more lively, this bar begs you to come sit and stay awhile.