How to Choose a Leather Sofa Bed
If you are in the market for a new sofa bed then a really good choice to consider is the leather sofa bed. That’s because the leather sofa bed tends to be more stylish and classy in appearance than the other options that are available for sofa beds. These beds look great in the living room when they are folded up as couches. A lot of sofa beds have that futon look that is best reserved for college dorms but the leather sofa bed has a totally upscale appearance. Additionally, a good leather sofa bed is really easy to clean which is something you want in choosing furniture that guests will frequently be using. But how do you go about choosing a good leather sofa bed?
Consider Your Own Décor
The first thing that you want to consider when choosing a leather sofa bed is the décor of the room where the bed will be located. You want to get a sofa bed that looks great in this room. Consider whether your décor is traditional or modern, whether the furniture is primarily bulky or minimal and what color scheme is best for the room. This can help you to greatly narrow down your choices among leather sofa beds before you even start to do any serious shopping around. After all, if you know that a brown leather sofa bed goes best in your room then you can avoid wasting time looking at black or cream-colored leather sofa beds.
Five Common Types of Leather
When you begin to start looking at leather sofa beds, you’ll discover that there are different types of leather commonly used for this furniture. Figuring out which type of leather you are most interested in can make it a lot easier to figure out which leather sofa bed you want to buy. Here’s a look at the five basic types of leather that you’ll find sofa beds made from:
1. Full aniline leather. This is also called natural leather. It is not treated in any special way which means that it’s very desirable but also that it may get easily stained or damaged. It’s great for stylish homes without children and for people who have a lot of money to spend.
2. Nubuck leather. This is full aniline leather that has been brushed in a particular way. It has a softer feel to it than full aniline leather does. It is also one of the types of leather sofa beds that will be most likely to stain.
3. Pull-up aniline leather. This is full aniline leather which has been treated in a special manner using wax and oil. It’s designed to allow for stylish aging of the leather as time goes on. The design creates different variations on the color over time which is nice for some people but not desired by others.
4. Semi-aniline leather. This is another type of leather that’s been treated similarly to pull-up aniline leather. This tends to be easy to clean and is one of the most durable options for a leather sofa bed. This is ideal for someone who wants the leather sofa bed to last for a long time.
5. Pigmented leather. This leather has been dyed so if you’re looking for a leather sofa bed in a unique color then it’s probably what you’re going to want to look at getting. Interestingly, this is often one of the most affordable options for a leather sofa bed.
It’s a good idea to go to a local leather store to get a short education about the different types of leather and to see them in person so that you can figure out which leather you’re looking at when you start to look at leather sofa beds.
Think About the Frame
Choosing the right leather for your sofa bed is the most important part of the decision-making process since this is the part of the sofa bed that you’re going to see all of the time. However, it’s also important that you then take the time to think about the frame of the bed so that you get a total package when buying this item.
The main thing to consider is the material that the frame is made from. Most people choose a metal frame for the leather sofa bed. However, other people will choose a wooden frame in which case it becomes important to think about the type of wood that you want for the frame.
You will then want to think about the color of the frame. Most people will choose a frame that matches the color of the leather sofa but some people will want a color that contrasts with it instead. This is something to think about as you begin to start looking at different leather sofa beds.
Consider the Mattress
Finally you will want to make sure that you choose a leather sofa bed that has a comfortable mattress. This is similar to shopping for a mattress for any other sofa bed. Consider thickness and firmness when making this decision.
Shop Around and Test Them Out
Once you’ve learned all of this then you’re ready to really do your shopping. This is when getting a leather sofa bed becomes like getting any other type of furniture. You want to shop around at a number of different stores so that you can get a complete feel for what you do and don’t like. You want to actually sit down on the sofa to see if it is comfortable. You want to do some comparison shopping in terms of price to help you determine which leather sofa is going to work best for your budget. Since this is not an item that you’re going to purchase frequently, it’s worth it to take the time to really figure out what you want and to choose the right leather sofa bed for your home.
- New Furnishing Trends for 2009
It's 2009 and time to make some changes. I recently spoke with my son who is a furniture designer with a trendy shop in Los Angeles and I asked him what he things will be hot for the home for the next...
- What Does Your Sofa Say About You?
Your friends are a reflection of you. The car you drive says something about your personality. The clothes you wear reveal your personal style. But your sofa? If most everything else in your life reflects who...
- 50 Cool Sofas | Couches | Sofa Beds
A collection of 50 cool, creative and unusual sofa designs from around the world featuring leather couches, car sofas and sofa beds.