How to Make Homemade Dishwasher Tabs - Cheap and Easy
Looking for an Inexpensive Alternative to Tabs?
I'm always on the lookout for less expensive ways of keeping my house clean. I also try to find ways to use more natural products around the home. That's why, when I heard about making my own homemade dishwasher tablets, I was excited to give it a try. You only need four ingredients and a little bit of time to save a whole lot of money!
- 2 cups 20 Mule Team Borax
- 2 cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 1 cup Epsom Salt
- 1 cup Lemon Juice
Here's the How-To:
- Mix the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the lemon juice to the dry mixture, 2-3 tablespoons at a time. 1 cup = 16 tablespoons. You want to make sure the mixture sticks together, but you don't want it over-saturated.
- Once you have a mixture that holds together well without being too wet, begin filling the ice cube trays with the mixture. *To make tabs that fit in the dishwasher dispenser, only fill each cube about halfway up.
- After you've filled your ice cube trays with the dishwasher tab mixture, it's time to let them sit and air dry. This takes approximately two days. They should then easily pop out of the ice cube trays and into an airtight storage container.
After giving them a try, the only issue I can see with them is that they do leave some spots on the dishes. However, I read that white vinegar in the rinse agent dispenser in the dishwasher goes a long way to solving that. I've given this a try to I cannot complain.
Comment below if you give these a try -- let me know how they work out for you!