How to Make a Simple Door Wreath
Why a Door Wreath?
Wreaths are a fun accessory for your house, to make it feel more like a home.
You can decorate your wreath for whatever season or holiday you want, which makes it even more festive!
Having a wreath on your front door also creates an inviting feeling for any guests who may be entering your home. A blank door could come across as a little cold and impersonal. Don't you want guests to feel that warm, homey, cozy feeling when they enter your home? I know I do!
Supplies You'll Need
All the supplies you'll need can be found at your local craft store. Choose whichever store is your favorite or is most convenient for you, for example: Michael's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, and so on.
- glue gun (there are cheap ones at Michael's for about $3 ! )
- extra glue sticks
- 3M plastic hook for hanging wreath
- blank wreath
- silk flowers
- extra accessories such as fake birds, butterflies, eggs, or whatever matches the season or holiday you are decorating for (this is where you can get really creative!)
Steps to Creating Your Wreath
- Get inspired! Look to Pinterest, Google Images, and to your own imagination to decide how you want your wreath to look. Should it be spring or summer themed, 4th of July themed, or should it display the letter that stands for your family's last name? Be creative and make it fun!
- Once your have your inspiration and supplies ready, warm up your glue gun!
- Next, glue on your flowers. I like to weave the flowers through the wreath, and then drop a few dollops of hot glue on the back to hold them in place. Then I cut off the remaining stems
- Arrange and glue on your other accessories (this could be a flag and stars for 4th of July, decorative bulbs for Christmas, and so on. In this example, I picked eggs and a butterfly to create a Spring theme)
- Next, create your bow (I will add a video about how to do this) and attach using the glue gun.
- Finally, attach your 3M hook to your front door, and place your wreath on it.
Congrats, you've created a unique and beautiful door wreath for your home!
How I Learned about Wreath-Making
My mother-in-law (or as we say "in-love") first introduced me to the idea of making wreaths for my front door. She showed me how to do it, as she's very crafty herself! She gave me a couple of wreaths that she made at first, and then eventually we went to Michael's and picked out the items for our separate wreaths. So that is how my love of wreath-making was born! I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and will now be able to create a special, one-of-a-kind wreath for your own home! Remember, it can be as fancy or as simple as you choose -- it's entirely up to you!
Makes a Great Gift!
As another side-note, wreaths can be personalized for a friend or family member, and that makes a really special and unique gift! After creating a spring wreath for my own home recently, a friend asked if I could make her one as well, which I was happy to do. So if you're trying to come up with a creative and fun gift idea, look no further than a decorative door wreath!