Home Interior Design - What Does It Say About You?
Is Home Interior Design Really Just What You Like?
Coming from a healing background and constantly looking for the inner meanings of everything from colors, what items are made of, to animal totems;
I concluded that nothing comes into your life without a reason. So I have decided to put my personality and experience into an article about the symbols and meanings that are all around our homes. It is my intension to first present you with a few symbols, the meaning behind them and present you with a matching product. After all the picture sells. And secondly, make you more aware if the items around you. Could they be teaching you a lesson? Thirdly, and most importantly, how can I educate myself so that I can gain useful insights in the symbols and signs surrounding me? And then I finally tie it all together with some easy to follow steps on how to determine what your personal taste may be telling you.
So to answer our original question, "Is Home Interior Design Really Just What You Like?", I say no. It is here to forever teach us about ourselves. The rest of the article will explain why.
Meanings of Colors
What does the color blue mean?
The color blue symbolizes brilliance, creativity, and calming. Some even believe that blue carries the spirit of Mother Mary. Having blue in your home means:
- You are at peace and acceptance with yourself.
- You are always open to new forms of communication. Whether it be receiving messages from the other side or just in tune with those around you.
- You are willing to learn new things about yourself and up for new experiences and adventure.
- Your home is a place to relax and enjoy solitude.
What does it mean to be green?
Color Green Meaning
What does the color green mean?
Green is the color of the outdoors. The color green in the home allows us to feel closer to nature connects us with Mother Earth. Because it is a relaxing color, often doctors offices will decorate their waiting rooms in green to calm patients. The color green in your home gives:
- Since green is the color of balance, it gives you a feeling of control. You no longer feel like the job or family owns your life.
- Green colors make it easier to realize what areas in your life need more growth.
- Colors of green may be telling you that it is time to pursue new ideas or experiences.
- Green gives you protection from the demands of others.
Meaning of Color Red In Our Home
The meaning of color red is related to a burning and most creative feeling. Red in your home suggests an urgency to create the new. It is our blood-color and gives us our life force.
For instance, homes with red front doors are said to be welcoming, protected, and sacred. In American History, houses with red fronts doors were safe places in the Underground railroad.
Having red in your home helps you to have:
- More zest for life in general. Red in your home gives you a new and cheerier outlook on life.
- The red around us gives us more energy and passion. It almost makes us attack our daily tasks.
- The color red is action which equates to greater self-confidence. People with red in their home will better realize their dreams and go after them.
- Red gives protection from our personal phobias what ever they are by instilling a undeniable faith in our abilities.
What is It Made Of?
This question may seem like a strange question when thinking about home design styles, but what are the things around you made of? Do you have, for instance, a granite counter top? All stones have emit unique metaphysical properties as soon as they are taken out of the earth. Even your silver, gold or nickle bathroom fixtures have special properties that may be telling you something. Wood taken from the forest can give you insights about yourself.
What is Your Granite Kitchen Countertop Telling You?
In the metaphysical world, granite is a stone of great strength. For instance kitchens with granite countertops can help you acquire the following attributes:
- Granite is all about physical strength, It makes your hair, bones, and muscles stronger. You may be drawn to the gym more or finally training for that marathon you've always longed to compete in.
- Granite creates abundance in our lives whether it be in love or finances. Just watch the love of our lives enter the picture. Whether it is a home business or a wished-for career move.
- It is a protection stone. You may notice a wayward family member bothering you less or negative people stop calling you.
- Granite helps to keep our emotions on an even keel and keeps us grounded. This lets you feel happier and have more balanced relationships.
- Granite is a good stone for showing how you fit into the larger picture of life instead of just the allowing the mundane tasks weigh you down.
- Granite helps you be more practical by dispersing negativity and overcoming doubt.
Do You Have Nickel Fixtures?
Brushed nickel bathroom faucets are now popular as pictured to the right. But what are the metaphysical properties of nickel? How can this metal help me?
- Nickel helps you to assimilate iron in your system. Therefore promotes a healthy liver. It is also known to lessen pain associated with headaches.
- Nickel gives a feeling of security from within ourselves and helps us to combat fears and phobias making us less sad or irritable. It shows us how to release the woeful images like the ones portrayed on the daily news casts; and helps with letting go oppressive images, like recurring nightmares and give us a revitalized feeling full of life and hope.
- Emotionally and spiritual nickel evokes originality and playfulness in individuals which keeps them young.
Solid Oak Bedroom Furniture
Is it Made of Wood?
We all have wooden furniture in our homes, Some of us have oak while others prefer cheery woods. There is so much to choose from. What could your oak bedroom furniture be telling you?
- Oak is considered the tallest and most robust of trees. Therefore, it is always teaching you to be strong and courageous. You may find that you are able to accomplish more simply because you feel larger than life.
- Oak is associated with the female side of marriage. You may feel gentler and more soft spoken which seems to be the opposite of "larger than life" but it really it more of a toned down view of life.
- Oak gives you an extreme commitment staying faithful and attentiveness to your responsibilities.
- Oak is good for knowing what is going to happen next. Some may consider it as the gift of prophecy while others may just see it as standing true and consistent in their actions.
- Oak is good for healing and giving strength.
My favorite book about animal totems
The Animal Totems Around Us
Animal totems are all around us everyday. It may be that cute dog on TV, the bird on your porch in the morning or you may just be lucky enough to see a fox or a deer on your way to work. What is your animal totem?
After you have figured out which animal totem that you are connected to, it is very important to study the habits and attributes of the animal and see how this applies to your life. My favorite example to explain this is the skunk. We all know how a skunk defends itself, so, you could infer, what stinks in your life? If you figure this out and change it, chances are you will stop smelling skunks.
Now lets relate this information to the article at hand. You animal totem may be a personal item in your home decor. You may even already collect items related dogs, elephants or dolphins like I do. Below I was able to research some different creatures and give some examples or messages about what they may be telling you.
Seahorse Symbolism - Who has a seahorse?
The seahorse is a wonderful example of hidden symbols around us in our home that we may not even notice. If you happen to own any Waterford Crystal, you will notice that their logo is all about seahorses. This is just one example of how an animal totem can enter our lives without use even being aware of it. What do seahorses symbolize?
- The seahorse is a representation of strength and power. The presence and the knowledge of having the seahorse make you realize how much influence you do have on others.
- The skeletal bodies are made for gentle and constant motion (slow and steady wins the race) instead of quickness; making them a symbol of patience and contentment. This means that you have patiently waited for and earned all of the good in your life.
- But since the body of the seahorse has never changed, the seahorse represents inflexibility and stubbornness. Sometimes we have to be inflexible while teaching lessons others.
Is There a Dragonfly Hiding In Your home?
I did a search on Amazon and found many home decor items with dragonflies on them. There seems to be everything from candles to mugs. The Tiffany lamp pictured to the right stood out the most to me. If you did a quick visual scan of your home, would you find dragonflies? Or are they pestering you every time you walk outdoors? What is this the dragonfly meaning and how can it be related to my life.
- Dragonflies are in most parts of the world and signifies a change in self realization.You may find yourself becoming more emotionally mature and start to realize a more profound meaning of life in the presence of a dragonfly.
- Similar to butterflies, the dragonfly goes through metamorphosis. This in its simplest form represents change. Are you resisting a needed change? On this same thought of change, the dragonfly spiritual meaning is to get rid of the old self and become anew.
- For another meaning of Dragonfly, think about its multiple flying patterns, I can go straight up and down, side ways and easily fly cross wise. The Dragon fly might be advising you to be free.
Is Your Life Black and White?
Are you a person that others would categorize as peculiar? You want to fit in and see things as black and white but you just don't. The meaning of zebra is individuality. Like the dragonfly, there are many household items with the distinctive stripes of the zebra. These are symbols that the zebra may be telling you:
- Zebra's are considered to be protective because they look like each other. In other words you may feel more comfortable in a group setting. But you are very much you own person when you are away from the crowd.
- While the zebra reminds us of our individuality in the crowd, it also reminds us to be better members of the community.
- The spiritual meaning for the zebra assimilates the black and white leading us to see a higher calling.
How do I Research Symbols for Myself?
I first became exposed to the symbols around me by taking classes in healing. But it is far more simple than that. Almost all the examples that I have given in this article can be researched on the internet. Simply Google, for example, the meaning of seahorses or what does the color blue mean. You can also find books in you library or purchase them online.
How it all Works Together
Our home interior design says something about us. Here are some guidelines to make it work for you.
- Do your research as discussed previously. Write down the information that you find in your own words.
- Note any feelings you have when looking at or touching the object. Is it a feeling of anticipation or exciting new adventures to come? Or is it just a familiar boring feeling of a lesson already learned.
- If you rent, and have not picked out the granite counter top in your apartment. I would still take a long hard look at the metaphysical properties of granite before you dismiss it. Or take another approach, what is the color or significant shapes in the granite? What is this telling you.
- When the lesson is learned. Do not be afraid to change that bedspread or wall color. We are always in a state of learning and evolving to our true selves.
- Always be teaching others what you have learned from your research. Involve them in your fun, it may be a lesson for them also. But on the same token, do not be upset when friends fall away from you. Some will literally be blinded by you light.
Have You Ever Considered That Your Home Decor Having a Deeper Meaning?
The every day items around us many be teaching us lessons without even realizing it. More than likely our home interior design has a deeper meaning. Pay attention to it, learn your lesson and move on. Feeling stuck in your life, spruce it up with some changes in your home, grow and change.