ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Property Sellers and Energy Performance Certificates

Updated on June 10, 2010

Home Information Pack (HIP) legislation may have been scrapped in 2010, but anyone that puts their house up for sale will still need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) from the first day of advertising it.

The advantage to new sellers entering the market is the cost of providing an EPC is around 10 per cent of what a HIP would have cost them. On the plus side for more established sellers, those that already have a current HIP in place will not need to get an EPC because they will already have the certificate in the collection of documents arranged by the HIP provider. EPCs are however ‘time limited’, so see further information below.

There is a great deal of confusion about EPCs and this article hopes to clear the fog a little for existing sellers already in the market and for those intending to become new sellers in the months ahead.

What is an EPC?

The requirement for most properties being built, rented out, bought or sold to have an EPC began in 2007, when legislation was introduced to ensure those investing in a particular dwelling would have information about its energy efficiency. The certificate is rated from A to G, with A being the most energy efficient and G the lowest. It transpires that by far the majority of properties have a D rating. In addition to heating and ventilation systems, the assessment will also include an inspection of elements such as the extent of loft and cavity wall insulation and the quality of any double-glazing.

Government hopes that this information will eventually lead to residential properties reducing their carbon footprint, because owners will be more aware of how efficient or inefficient their homes are and will seek ways of improving their EPC rating. The certificate itself must also provide recommendations on how the building’s energy efficiency might be improved. It has been found that buildings produce almost half the entire UKs carbon emissions and this legislation is intended to reduce this alarming statistic over time.

EPCs are part of a Europe wide plan to reduce carbon emissions, which should go some way to halt and potentially perhaps even undo some of the consequences of climate change throughout the world.

Which type of buildings need to have an EPC?

Buildings that have a roof and walls and use any type of energy to produce or otherwise manipulate an internal climate (in other words, use heating or cooling systems) – need an EPC. Buildings that are compartmentalised need multiple EPCs, if each unit has a separate heating or ventilation system – for example, multi-let properties and apartment blocks.

Some buildings are exempt from this legislation. These include temporary buildings that are only intended to be used for 2 years or less, places of worship, any standalone building with a floor space of less than 50 square metres not intended for use as living accommodation, some industrial sites and agricultural buildings that do not use very much energy.

Who can supply an EPC to a property seller?

The certificates are drawn up using information gathered and collated by accredited energy assessors. Most EPCs will be arranged through and provided by an estate agent when a seller first enters the property market. Homeowners and landlords can also approach one of the many independent EPC suppliers advertising their services online and in the local and national press.

Alternatively, Landmark Information Group (who work for and on behalf of the Government) maintains a register of accredited assessors. Sellers can find the nearest available local assessor by visiting their website here:

How much will an EPC cost?

The cost of a certificate depends on a number of factors, not least the size of the property and how much time it takes an assessor to inspect it. The type and extent of the heating system will also influence the amount of work involved. Most certificates cost about £35 and no more than £50. If an estate agent or letting agent is involved in arranging the certificate or they need to provide access for the inspection to occur, additional costs may be involved.

How long does an EPC last?

Once obtained, a certificate will remain valid for 10 years. The same validity period applies to properties being bought, sold or rented. If a new-build dwelling is bought by an investor-landlord, the certificate issued as part of the sale process can later be used for rental purposes, if desired.

Can I put my home up for sale without an EPC?

Yes, but only if you can prove you have already ordered an EPC before the first day your property is advertised for sale. The legislation suggests the certificate must be reasonably expected to be available within 28 days. Provision of the certificate is down to the property owner, so if an estate agent fails in his or her duty to arrange it, both the owner AND the agent can EACH be fined £200.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)