How to Repair Plaster With Joint Compound Around Windows
Repairing falling down plaster around window
Where there was a leak on the roof I had to the repair the plaster inside this window. I bought a small can of joint compound. Time per window 30 min. Tools needed are: Joint Compound,Trowel box, Putty knife, Stiff brush. See photo 1 and 2
1. With Putty Knife scrape and remove all loose old Plaster. See photo 3 and 4
2. Using putty Knife apply a coat of Joint Compound making sure that you hold the knife flat and square to the work surface. Working the material into the crack. See Photo 5,6
3. Fill all holes around the window see Photo 7,8. Do not apply to thick of coats it will crack and sink in when dry. If in doubt apply a second coat over the first coat after drying. Coats can be about 1/8” thick to prevent cracking.
4. Let it sit till it starts to firm up.
5. Last take the stiff Bristle Brush wet it in water. Not to damp, and apply the texture. Copy the same texture that was there previously. See Photo 9
6. Let dry at least a day then apply some caulking around outside edge of window,
7. The apply a coat of primer then paint .