ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel


Updated on June 23, 2011

The Water Works

Major plumbing problems need the attention of a professional unless you are very skilled. But for simple leaks and overflows here is what you should know.

Modern houses have two different types of cistern. One is the cold water cistern for storage and the other is the flushing cistern for toilets. Water flows into both cisterns and is controlled by a valve fixed to a lever and a ball float. As the cistern fills, the float rises; its other end slides along an arm until it presses on a piston which closes the water inlet. If the valve sticks or breaks, flooding is prevented because the water goes out through an overflow pipe fitted inside the tank near the top. This leads to the outside of the house. If however a cistern overflows it may be because the float arm is set too high. On modern systems the ball float can be adjusted by lessening a nut and lowering it. With older systems, you can bend the arm down, using a pair of pipe grips or an adjustable spanner. Turn off the supply to the cistern first. This cuts off the water at a lower level in the tank. If this doesn't stop the overflow, check if there is water inside the ball; if necessary unscrew it and replace it with a new one. If you are not confident you can do the job, tie up the float arm to prevent water flowing into the tank. If a plumber can't come at once, operate the arm occasionally to let water into the cistern.

Another reason why a cistern overflows may be because the washer in the inlet valve needs cleaning or replacing. Turn off the water supply to the cistern, remove the split pin and take out the piston and clean it with fine steel wool. Unscrew the end cap of the valve, remove the rubber washer and, if it's worn fit a new one. Replace the piston, put back the split pin, turn on the water supply and see if the overflow has stopped.

Radiator Airlocks

Radiators which don't heat up properly or gurgle alarmingly have probably got an airlock in them. This is most common if the system has been turned off for a period of time. Take the key which should come with the system-or buy one at a hardware shop and open the vent valve at one end of the radiator, taking care to hold a jug or small bowl underneath to catch the water when it flows. At first you will get a hissing sound as the excess air bleeds out; once the water starts to flow freely, you have cleared the air lock and should tighten the valve again.

Pipe Problems

You know you have got an airlock in your pipes if, when you turn on a tap, the water trickles out feebly rather than flowing freely. It may even stop completely. This is usually accompanied by a knocking noise in the pipes. You can cure it yourself if you have separate hot and cold taps in the kitchen but will need the services of a plumber if you have a mixer tap.

Take a piece of hosepipe and two adjustable clips and fit the hose in a U-shape between the hot and cold taps, tight ending the clip with a screwdriver. Turn on first the hot and then the cold tap. Let them run for a few minutes so that the mains pressure from the cold tap can force the water and air back through the pipes into the hot water storage tank or cylinder. This should eliminate the airlock. If it doesn't work after five minutes or so, stop then try again. After 20 minutes with no success call a plumber.

Leaking Pipes

If a pipe starts to leak near a cold water storage cistern, turn off the stop tap close to the cistern. Otherwise turn off the water supply at the main stopcock. Open all taps and flush the look to empty the cistern quickly. It is important for every householder to know where the stopcock is and to keep it in a condition where it can be turned reasonably easily without the use of tools. Note that before turning off the water supply, you should switch off gas-or-oil-fired boilers and electric immersion heaters. If your water is heated by solid fuel, shovel as much as you can out of the boiler into a metal bucket to help it cool down quickly.

Copper pipes which fail at compression joints sometimes just need the nuts on either side of the joint to be tightened. If this doesn't work or if the leak is on the pipe itself turn the water off and drain the pipe, then make a temporary repair by giving the area a quick coat of epoxy resin adhesive and binding it round first with rags and then with polythene taps. Or keep a special repair kit handily and use this. Leaks in lead pipes usually occur because the pipe has split. Turn off the water supply and tap the split. with a hammer to try and close it. Call a plumber quickly.

Frozen Pipes

To avoid frozen pipes, take precautions when the temperature starts to drop. Keep plugs in position in baths, sinks and basins to prevent the outlets being blocked by ice. If you have dripping taps that really need new washers put salt in the waste traps to help prevent freezing.

If pipes do freeze up in spite of this play a hair dryer along the length of the frozen area starting at the tap end and working back to the tank. If you can't thaw the pipes fairly quickly, call a plumber. In any case check the joints on copper piping afterwards, as freezing often pushes them out of their compression fittings.

Burst Pipes

When a pipe bursts, turn on all the cold water taps in the house and turn off the main stopcock. Wrap old towels or rags around the burst section. If the pipes are part of the hot water system, turn off the boiler or immersion heater. Call a plumber to repair the damage.

Blocked Sinks

Sinks which aren't blocked too seriously can usually be cleared by an application of a proprietary drain cleaner, following the manufacturer's instructions, or by putting down a handful of washing soda dissolved in half a liter of hot water.

Failing this you will need to use a sink plunger. Block off the overflow handwork the plunger up and down. Don't be too vigorous with basins or you may pull them away from the wall.

For really bad blockages, follow the procedure below and, if that does not work, call the plumber.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)