The World's Silent Fan: Rowenta
Having gone through many, many pedestal and fixed fans for the home, there is only one that is powerful and silent.
Most fans are loud due to the motor. If you are one those people who are trying to cut down electricity use by turning the AC up, you soon realize that you will need something more to circulate the air. That is a fan. While there are plenty of cheaper fans on the market, you do get what you pay for, as the saying goes. Cheaper fans are louder and the quality can severely lack. If you are also one of those people wanting to run a fan at night as you sleep, you have a dilemma. Usually, the fan noise will keep you awake. That steady hum-drum of the motor can actually keep you awake! It did with me.
Rowenta Silent Fan
After a year of owning this rotating, pedestal fan, I can vouch for its quality and performance. Yes, you will pay over $100 for it, but this German made product is well worth it for a variety of reasons:
- Four silent speeds
- A night setting for whisper silent fan operation of 43 decibels (this means you will barely, if at all, hear it)
- A setting to run the fan to conserve electricity
- A turbo burst setting that creates a 2436 ft/min. airflow in the room
- A five blade fan (which creates uniform airflow)
- A fan that can rotate or be fixed with automatic oscillation (this means the fan will rotate right to left and left to right automatically unless turned off)
- A blade made of plastic 16 inches in diamter
- A heavy base to secure the fan
- A consumer satisfaction rating of 4.5 (out of 5)
- From floor to top of fan is about 4 feet
While some buyers of the fan have complained about the quality for the price, I differ. The quality of the model VU5551 pedestal fan is quite good. The base is heavy, as it should be. Assembly was easy and after a year of constant use at night (to reduce AC use), there have been zero problems and it is still silent (no vibrations or rattles). When this fan is on silent mode, you can have it spread a sea-like breeze across the bed or room and not hear it, even when the fan is just three feet (1m) away! There is no motor noise or hum to keep you awake.
The fan has replaced much cheaper fans. You will not find this fan at Lowes or Home Depot, you usually need to find a store that carries high end fans or order it online.
I usually do not write about products unless they are astonishing. This is one, as I was battling with fan noise at night as I tried to sleep. The Rowenta was the more costly solution that provides a cooling breeze without any motor or fan noise.