- Home Improvement
Things Not To Do When Installing a Ceiling Fan
Do Not Try This At Home
Disclaimer: This is not and should never be a substitute for formal training.
When putting in that ceiling fan, there are a few things you might consider NOT doing.
- Do not assume that the power is off…..ever!
- Do not substitute the wall switch for the circuit breaker. In many cases, the actual power runs to the ceiling. If you just flip off the switch, you could be in for a shocking experience!
- Do not stand on a chair if you are too lazy to go to the garage and get a step ladder.
- Do not stand on a chair, if you are too cheap to go buy a step ladder.
- Do not stand on a chair…………….period. It is just not safe.
- Do not throw the instructions away without reading them. I know you may have to turn it sideways or upside down to read the English version, but you can often find useful information in the instructions.
- Do not follow any instructions that have a circle and a line through them. The circle and line means “do not try this at home kids”.
- Do not fiddle with any wires that you are unfamiliar with. Sooping up that fan motor, may put you on the fast track ……………….to the ER!
- If you have to ask, “What does this wire do?”, put the screwdriver down and just step away….just step away from the tools. Now go to the phone, and call someone that knows what they are doing. (And why you are on the phone, go ahead and put 911 on speed call for the next tip.)
- Never say this phrase…..”Look how sturdy this is, I’ll bet you it will hold my entire weight!”