Tortilla Shell Salad Bowl Recipe Ideas
Tortilla Shell Salad Bowl Ideas
This author recently purchased the Perfect Tortilla Bowl Maker Pans just to see if they really did what they claimed to do--make crispy tortilla salad bowls without adding fat and calories. The pans (pictured below) definitely lived up to their claims.
However, on getting into the groove of making the tortilla salad bowls, it became apparent that the tortilla bowls would be great for many other recipes. Since the baked shells will keep for up to 1 week if stored properly in an airtight container (such as a zip lock bag), it's a snap to make the shells and then whip them out for recipes as you need them.
Tortilla salad bowls aren't just for taco salads. They can be used for a variety of recipes from breakfast dishes to appetizers to lunch or dinner entrees to even dessert recipes.
Bake Tortilla Bowls
There are other ways to bake tortilla bowls such as baking them over inverted casserole dishes or pans but if you want convenience and predictable results, try tortilla salad bowl molds like the ones shown below.
- For a great time saver, use tortilla shell salad bowl maker pans
- Bake shells at recommended temperature, remove from pans and cool on rack for 5 minutes
- Use in recipes or store in airtight containers for up to 1 week
- Reheat in 325 degree oven for 3-5 minutes or microwave slightly to warm
- Once cooked, the tortilla bowls are stackable
- Stack gently to avoid breakage and store in cool dry place
Bake as many as you think you'll need.
Make a few extra just in case some get broken--or eaten.
Store up to 1 week in airtight containers.
Breakfast Recipe Idea for Tortilla Salad Bowl
Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe with Tortilla Salad Bowl
- 1 or 2 poached eggs per person
- baked tortilla salad bowl per person
- warmed pinto, black or kidney beans
- grated cheese (try white cheddar, monterey jack or pepperjack)
- salsa or pico de gallo (optional)
- avocado or guacamole (optional)
- diced roma tomatoes
- diced green onion
- low fat sour cream
- shredded romaine or other lettuce (optional)
- Reheat tortilla salad bowls until warm. Keep poached eggs warm.
- Spoon in shredded lettuce (if using) or put shredded lettuce under tortilla shell in plate or bowl.
- Spoon in beans, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, salsa.
- Add a dollop of sour cream.
- Add egg or eggs on top.
- Sprinkle lightly with cheese.
Also try Huevos Revueltos or Mexican Scrambled Eggs in tortilla shell salad bowls for another delicious breakfast idea.
Dip Recipes for Tortilla Shell Bowls
The sky's the limit when it comes to dips you can put into baked tortilla salad bowls. Here are just a few.
Mock Guacamole Dip
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons low fat mayo
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon or to taste chili powder
- garlic and salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup mild to medium salsa (or pico de gallo)
- 2 diced roma tomatoes
Add frozen peas to boiling water, cover and bring to boil again. Simmer 2 minutes.
Drain and rinse peas with cold water to cool. Drain completely.
Blend remaining ingredients except salsa and tomatoes to a chunky texture to resemble guacamole.
Add salsa and cover. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or up to 24 to blend flavors.
Before serving, add diced roma tomatoes.
Layered Bean Dip
- 1 can refried black or pinto low-fat or no-fat beans
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese (monterey jack or cheddar)
- 3 green onions diced
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1-2 diced roma tomatoes
Mix beans with spices. Place in bottom of tortilla shell salad bowl.
Layer remaining ingredients carefully on top of the beans.
Refrigerate up to several hours.
Homemade Pico de Gallo
- 1 medium sized sweet onion chunked
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro washed, spun dry, ends trimmed
- 6-8 chunked roma tomatoes (can seed if desired)
- garlic if desired
- cumin if desired
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt to taste
- Chunk ingredients in a food processor until desired texture--don't overmix. If you don't have a food processor, dice/chop finely and combine all ingredients.
- Drain off liquid by putting mixture in strainer.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors blend.
Lunch or Main Course Tortilla Salad Bowl Recipe
Taco Salads or Fajitas in Salad Bowls
These lunchtime or dinnertime favorites need little explanation. It's important to remember though that you can use a variety of ingredients and come up with any number of quick, easy and delicious meals.
- chicken, beef, turkey, pork or fish (ground, spiced, strips, chunks)
- beans (pinto, black, garbanzo, kidney or red)
- green chilies or spicier chilies in adobe sauce
- diced tomatoes
- diced tomatillos
- shredded cheese (jack, pepperjack, cheddar or other)
- onions (green, purple, sweet)
- salsa (verde, pico de gallo, spicy to mild)
- lettuce, spinach or cabbage
- sour cream
- avocado slices or guacamole
- Reheat tortilla salad bowls. Depending upon the size of the shell, make 1 or more per person.
- Layer in any order meat, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, cheese.
Dessert Tortilla Salad Bowl Recipe & Ideas
Margarita Fruit Dip in a Tortilla Shell Salad Bowl
- 1 package non-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup frozen margarita drink mix (or fruit juice such as mango)
- 1/8 cup orange juice or lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel or lime peel
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- sliced fruit or wedges or whole fruit like strawberries
- In mixing bowl or food processor, whip whipping cream.
- Combine cream cheese, juice concentrate, juice and peel in mixer or food processor. Mix on low until smooth.
- Fold the whipping cream into the cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve dip with fruit.
Some more dessert ideas:
- Use the ingredients for Dessert Tacos for a delicious alternative
- Fill tortilla shell salad bowls with sauces like chocolate or caramel and serve with chunks of fruit or angel food cake
- Use bowls to hold cookies and candies
- Fill tortilla salad bowls with ice cream or nonfat yogurt and make sundaes