Winterising Your Bulgarian Property
Before the beautiful, warm, sunny days fade away and winter arrives here in Bulgaria there are a few jobs that can help you stay warm, well and happy during the colder months.
- Make sure you have your firewood ready, logs chopped, split and stacked somewhere close enough to your home that you can get them easily, but far enough to keep any insects that may be living in the log pile out of your house. There is nothing worse than a freak cold spell especially if you are not prepared. Your winter wood supply should be well seasoned, at least a year if possible. So you should be ordering wood for next winter now.
- Fit any insulation now before the weather changes, don't wait. Walls, floors, roof's, doors and windows all leach precious heat. Heavy curtains at doors and windows can help, rugs on any tiled or wooden floors. There are many types of insulation available for walls and roof spaces, and they don't cost a fortune. It is worth researching which type is best for your home and how long it should take to recoup the initial outlay.
- Lag all exposed pipework and check for leaks. Frozen pipes are an awful thing mid winter and could take days to thaw. You don't want to be left without fresh water for days on end. Turn off and isolate any outside taps that you won't be using in the colder months. Drain and put away hosepipes etc.
- Seal any drafty windows and doors, use draft excluders either shop bought or homemade to help keep you warm. Bubble wrap can be used on windows to help conserve heat. And an old stocking stuffed with newspaper or fabric is an ideal draft excluder for doors.
- Make sure your chimney has been well cleaned if you are using a wood burning stove for heating. All flue pipes should be regularly cleaned and inspected also. Chimney fires are more common if your chimney hasn't been cleaned properly due to a build up of soot and tar.
- If you are not going to be living in your property over the winter drain down all water pipes, empty the toilet and boiler, Turn off the mains water, cover important furniture with dust sheets and make sure you remove any potential source of food for vermin. Mice and rats can do serious damage to wiring and soft furnishings if they get into your home and possessions.
- If you are staying in Bulgaria for the winter stock upon essentials before the cold weather hits. There may be power cuts due to the weather, heavy snow and extremely cold temperatures.