A perfect cup of coffee everytime - with the Aeropress
My husband and I both LOVE coffee - but we don't always want it at the same time. So, when his boss told him about this great device that made the best cup of coffee ever - he decided to get one.
And we have to agree. Even though it is more convenient to make one big pot of coffee, using the Aeropress is so easy and the results are so much better that we choose to use it most of the time.
So - why do we like it?
- The coffee tastes great!! I know there is some scientific explanation for why it tastes so good which my husband gave me, but really I don't care about that. The bottom line is just that it tastes great!
- It is easy to use. Just put the filter in the bottom cap, screw it on the main tube, put in the coffee, pour on the boiling water, stir, push in the plunger part and you are done
- It is easy to clean. Hold it over a trash can and unscrew the bottom cap. The filter and coffee grounds just fall out. Rinse the whole thing under the tap and put on the dish rack to dry.
- It is easy to store. It is small. It is not a big coffee percolator. You can even buy it with a storage bag so that you can take it when you go on trips
- It is inexpensive. This means it makes a great gift!! This is actually the item that we have gifted more than anything else. As long as the recipient likes coffee you are good to go. It doesn't even matter if they already have one as they could take the second one to the office as my husband has done. It also makes a good gift for college students. My son requested one for Christmas last year.
- It provides freshly brewed coffee. I hate 'stewed' coffee that has been sitting in the coffee pot for a while. When my husband does make a big pot and I only get to helping myself to some 30 minutes later, it just doesn't taste great. But I hate anything to go to waste, so I drink it. Using the Aeropress lets me make it just when I want and the right amount so nothing goes to waste.
I took these photos as I made my morning cup of coffee with my Aeropress (don't you LOVE my Pooh Bear mug - gift from my daughter). I really don't like doing anything more in the kitchen than I need to, so the fact that I use this at least 3 times a day can tell you how much I like it and that it really is easy to use.
I just use ground coffee with it (I told you I am lazy!) but my husband likes to grind the beans first to make an even better cup. Your choice.
Get one. No, get two. One for office and one for home. Or maybe get three so you have a ready gift when you need one!
Photo GalleryClick thumbnail to view full-size
The only extras you need
The Aeropress uses little paper filters you can't find in regular stores so I have been buying the packs from Amazon. I always buy the Aeropress that comes with filters to start out with. Once they are finished, you can buy them as 'add-ons' to a larger order from Amazon and get free shipping that way, and as there are 350 in a packet they do last a long time.
But in writing this review, I discovered there are now reusable filters on sale. I am not sure which one I will get, but this will definitely save money and they all have good reviews. Sorry I can't provide you with firsthand knowledge on these, but they all look great and I am glad they are available!
This is a stainless steel filter with teeny holes so that none of the coffee grinds can get through. But the oils do get through which adds to the flavor.
This one is cheaper, but from the reviews it seems a little of the coffee makes it through. But it is cheaper.
Watch the Aeropress in action!
Pity you can't get to taste the coffee.