How To Grow a Gorgeous Garden
Gardens delight our senses with breathtaking sights, sounds and fragrances. Designing a garden is almost an art form. It takes planning and if you don’t know your plants, research. Follow these tips to keep your garden blooming and beautiful!
A garden can turn an ordinary yard into a private oasis; a place of amazing beauty, complete with sound effects and aroma therapy only nature can provide. The plants in your garden will attract butterflies, songbirds and other enjoyable wildlife. With proper attention, your garden can provide a serene and peaceful place for you to enjoy for years to come.
Here are 6 tips to help you keep your garden looking beautiful:
1) Plant according to height and bloom time. Plant the smallest plants up front or around the edges where they will get the most sunlight and not end up in the shade of larger plants. Flowers that bloom the earliest, such as crocuses, can be dispersed throughout the garden for a splash of spring color. Plant some cosmos for summer color and chrysanthemums for a burst of fall color.
2) Pay close attention to different plants’ light and water needs. Keep shade plants in the shade and don’t block plants that need full sun. If shade plants are going to be in the sun for part of the day, aim to have them in the morning sun, when the soil temp is cooler.
3) Watering your plants can be time consuming and tricky. Not all plants have the same watering requirements. Group plants with similar watering needs together so you can set your sprinkler and let it do all the work
3) Nourish your garden by fertilizing the soil at least once a year. You can use commercial fertilizers, manure or homemade compost. After fertilizing you can add cedar or wood chips or mulch to help stop the growth of weeds.
5) Every once in a while, spend some time inspecting your plants for dead or dying parts. Prune dead leaves before they cause harm to the rest of the plant. Pull up weeds weekly to keep them from taking over your garden.
6) Add some bird houses or a bird bath to your garden to welcome our feathered friends and beautify your surroundings. It will be like having a front row seat to nature’s symphony.
Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Add potted plants amongst the ground foliage; incorporate some garden art such as stone statues, paving stones or even garden gnomes. If you have a fence around your garden, add some hanging plants or cover it with climbing ivy.
If there is space in your garden, add a park bench or café table and a couple of chairs. Sit in the morning with your coffee and let Mother Nature wake you up naturally. You will be amazed at the new world you created within your yard. Follow these tips and your garden will bring you a lifetime of beauty.