An Enchanting Backyard Garden on a Budget? Yes, You Can!
Gardens delight our senses with breathtaking sights, sounds and fragrances.
A garden can turn an ordinary yard into a private oasis; a place of amazing beauty, complete with sound effects and aroma therapy only nature can provide. The plants in your garden will attract butterflies, songbirds and other enjoyable wildlife. With proper attention, your garden can provide a serene and peaceful place for you to enjoy for years to come.
As the old saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" and neither does your garden need to be.
It may require a bit of planning, and if you don’t have much of a green thumb, research. What you don't require is lots of money. Follow these tips to keep your garden blooming and beautiful!Break it down into bite-sized afternoon or weekend DIY projects. A rock border here, a raised planter there...and before you know it, you've created a work of art!
1) One Thing At a Time...
Choosing and Planting Your Flowers
1) Plant according to height and bloom time. Plant the smallest plants up front or around the edges where they will get the most sunlight and not end up in the shade of larger plants. Flowers that bloom the earliest, such as crocuses, can be dispersed throughout the garden for a splash of spring color. Plant some cosmos for summer color and chrysanthemums for a burst of fall color.
2) Pay close attention to different plants’ light and water needs. Keep shade plants in the shade and don’t block plants that need full sun. If shade plants are going to be in the sun for part of the day, aim to have them in the morning sun, when the soil temp is cooler.
3) Watering your plants can be time consuming and tricky. Not all plants have the same watering requirements:
- Group plants with similar watering needs together so you can set your sprinkler and let it do all the work.
- Invest in a soaker hose, if you can. This keeps the water where it's needed-at the roots.
- In the hot sun, limit the water stream to the base and roots. Getting the flowers and leaves of the plant wet can invite bugs and cause burning by the sun.
Ways to Accentuate And Personalize a Garden
5) Planting flowers in large colorful pots and raised beds:
- Add color and texture to a flat space.
- Are easier to maintain
- You don't have to worry about flowers getting tramples!
6) Bird feeders and Bird Baths will fill your garden with the exquisite sound of birds like Cardinals, Blue Jays, Finches and Woodpeckers. It's like having a front row seat to nature’s symphony.
Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Add potted plants amongst the ground foliage; incorporate some garden art such as stone statues, paving stones or even garden gnomes. If you have a fence around your garden, add some hanging plants or cover it with climbing ivy.
If there is space in your garden, add a park bench or café table and a couple of chairs. Sit in the morning with your coffee and let Mother Nature wake you up naturally. You will be amazed at the new world you created within your yard. Follow these tips and your garden will bring you a lifetime of beauty.