"I have a Kenmore HE3 dryer (AKA Whirlpool).bad coil signature

1. profile image45
    ronandrobposted 8 years ago

"I have a Kenmore HE3 dryer (AKA Whirlpool).bad coil signature

I have measured the voltage across the coils when the burner short cycles and changes from 120 to 0 volts. If it were the coils, then the voltage would remain across the coil when the flame cuts off ??

I also noticed that voltage across the thermistor is very noisy and variable.  Is this typical or should the signal be relatively clean from noise (i.e. voltage variation from 0.9 to 1.5 volts quite rapidly.   When wires removed and just measure resistance, the thermistor measures a very steady resistance that would be expected for the room temperature.

2. profile image45
    ronandrobposted 8 years ago

Fixed problem - the flame baffle (shield in front of flame to spread it out) had deformed ever so slightly and directed some small amount of flame slightly to the side which impinged on the high-limit thermostat.  So flame turns on, quickly heats up the high-limit thermostat which then turns the heat off until cool-down over-and-over (never heating the dryer).  Not sure how common this is, but it mimics the bad coil symptoms.  I would think this problem starts slowly over perhaps years until it gets bad enough to be noticed.

3. hometips profile image52
    hometipsposted 8 years ago

You can read all about clothes dryer problems and troubleshooting on my hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Clothes-Dryer-D … g-problems

working