jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

how or could ceiling seams be repaired?

1. profile image43
    duo2posted 8 years ago

how or could ceiling seams be repaired?

I can see seams ,,can they be repaired

2. profile image43
    duo2posted 8 years ago

can ceiling nseams be repaired,  living room/dining room seams
    are very noticible.  what can be done if anything

3. Springboard profile image81
    Springboardposted 8 years ago

First, you'll need to buy some drywall tape and drywall compound. Put the tape between the seam. Spackle on the drywall compound and smooth into the seam and outward to keep it uniform using a putty knife or scraper. For seams you might want to use an angled putty knife or scraper. Let it dry completely, then use 120 grit sandpaper and sand it down so it's smooth and virtually seamless. Make sure you cover the area well and get yourself a couple dust masks...this gets very dusty. Then prime it and paint it. My suggestion is that if you are going to do this, you might as well decide to prime and paint the entire room.

Hope that helps.

4. kowality profile image60
    kowalityposted 8 years ago

This is a complicated question. First of all...What caused the crack? Does the ceiling framing need to be looked at? Was the roof load altered by more snow this year? Was a skylight or anything else added to the roof system?
    A V-groove has to be opened where the crack was. It's not good enough to just tape over the problem. It'll happen again.
    The crack is most likely at a joint.
    If it is not the framing..I would cut the drywall back 2 studs from each side of the crack and then fill both joints.
    There is a specific reason why it has cracked at this joint.