jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I cannot sell our house - husband has been transferred to Florida and I am stuck

1. profile image47
    lilianestherposted 7 years ago

I cannot sell our house - husband has been transferred to Florida and I am stuck her in NC...

trying to sell the house (on market for almost three years now) any suggestions

2. bethparker profile image84
    bethparkerposted 7 years ago

Here are a few options for you:

1)  Lower the price if you can, and see if that makes a difference.  Make sure you keep it high enough to cover your mortgage and the Realtor's commission, unless you have the funds to make up the difference.

2)  Contact your bank and ask whether they will consider a short sale.  If so, you may be able to sell the house for less than you owe.  There is a lot of paperwork involved in the process, and it is hard to get banks to agree to it, but it's worth a shot.

3)  Rent the house for now and put it back on the market in a few years after the market recovers.  Hire a property management company or Realtor to handle the rental.  They will take a commission and send you the rest.  You may not be able to get enough to completely cover your mortgage payment, but at least it will cover part of it.

4)  Try to join your husband as soon as possible.  Being in separate states is not good for your relationship.  I hope you can be together again soon.

Beth Parker

3. Dave Ward profile image73
    Dave Wardposted 7 years ago

1. Have you had a realtor come through and give you suggestions on what you can do to spruce it up? A little paint, a few materials, and a lot of sweat can go a long way. If you have already had this done, and you did everything they asked and it didn't work.... get a new realtor. The one you have probably doesn't have the right sense of the market.
    2. If you don't want to wait any longer (or can't) then you should rent it. If you are thinking "I can't maintain it" then find a handy-man who will maintain it for you. Some do it for only $15 an hour on the side of their other job. Look around and see what you can come up with. I will send you a sample lease if you want one that you can use to get things going. It's not as hard as it seems and can prevent foreclosure (even make you money in the long run.)
    3. Consider selling creatively (lease with option to buy, land contract to someone etc.)
    4. Do NOT give up on it.There are even more ways than that. You just have to be determined and get the right people on your team.

4. fdoleac profile image58
    fdoleacposted 7 years ago

Don't abandon the property.  Consider renting if financially feasible. Talk to a competent real estate agent that specializes in short sales.  Communicate with your lender to determine their options.