jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Amount of space you have leave in front of the fireplace for safety

1. profile image47
    pinkbluengreenposted 6 years ago

Amount of space you have leave in front of the fireplace for safety

I would like to place 3 sofas in a U shape around the fire place, the flooring is sealed concrete, and I use the fire place all year long and during the winter almost all day.

2. DexisView profile image73
    DexisViewposted 6 years ago

I don't have an answer, but am curious as well as I am soon moving to a new place with a fireplace and would like to know what a good safe distance is considered when it is in use.  Will follow this one.

3. stefancando profile image68
    stefancandoposted 6 years ago

I don't know if there is a standard distance but it probably depends on what kind of material the sofas are made of. The best way would probably be to test out the setup...move the sofas back and forth to see if they are getting too warm or if they're in the way of the sparks from the fire.

The 3 sofas in front of the fire sounds like a wonderful setup!

4. fdoleac profile image59
    fdoleacposted 6 years ago

Since we have a screen, we provide 30" for combustible material.  Without a screen 3 to 4 feet for jumping embers.

5. shanel profile image59
    shanelposted 6 years ago

Hi pinkbluengreen ---
    Thank you for your question.

All combustible materials such as carpets, paper, and furniture must be kept at least 3 feet away from the fireplace. It is advisable to install a screen that covers the fireplace opening and keeps sparks from flying out.

Placing three sofas around the fire place sounds like a great idea.
    Good luck!