How can we reduce our electricity consumption this winter?

1. Ruchi Urvashi profile image77
    Ruchi Urvashiposted 6 years ago

How can we reduce our electricity consumption this winter?

2. stars439 profile image74
    stars439posted 6 years ago

Good question. I recently had to make a choice of using more electric because we had to have our natural gas cut off because of a gas leak.

I purchased three electric heaters. The wires are no fun around the house, but the heaters were necessary for the time being.

To reduce electric use simply do not keep all electric heaters on . Only turn on the ones that your using in the rooms your in at the moment. If your in the kitchen, then keep the kitchen warm, and cut off the heaters elsewhere.

This would be inconvenient, but it would save you some money on an electric bill.

If you have a nice electric system for the entire home, you may want to adjust your thermostat.

It is also important to remember to stay warm so that you will not become sick.

Saving money on anything can be good, but do not suffer for it.

God Bless You.

3. eugbug profile image98
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

If your home isn't fully insulated, consider upgrading it. Loft insulation can be replaced or replaced with thicker material.
    Turn down your room thermostat or boiler a couple of degrees and wear more clothes.
    Use localized heating such as radiant,convector or fan heaters while doing sedentary work such as working at a computer rather than heating the room continuously.
    If rooms are heated by storage heaters, turn down the heat setting in rooms which aren't being occupied. Only background heat is necessary to prevent the room becoming damp.
    Replace incandescent bulbs with CFLs.
    Try to dry washing outdoors when the air humidity is low and there is a breeze rather than using the tumble drier.
    I live in Ireland which has a damp climate but even with temperatures around 10C or 50F, clothes will at least half dry in the winter when it is breezy and there is a little sunshine.

There are more tips on energy saving in my hubs here:

http://eugbug.hubpages.com/hub/Tips-on-Saving-Energy

http://eugbug.hubpages.com/hub/Survivin … -Freeze-Up

working