How do you feel about a neighbor painting their house a really gaudy color or co

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (21 posts)
  1. David Legg 7 profile image67
    David Legg 7posted 12 years ago

How do you feel about a neighbor painting their house a really gaudy color or color combination?

How do you feel about a neighbor painting their house a very bright gaudy color?

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

It might annoy me but it is their house and they can do whatever they want with it. I would be pretty peeved if somone told me I was not allowed to do what I wanted to my own property.

3. kmainka profile image60
    kmainkaposted 12 years ago

Hmm... I don't think I would really care. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. What I might consider gaudy, they might think is beautiful. And what I consider beautiful, might be considered gaudy and tacky, etc etc to them. Plus, as stated already, it's their house, not mine. If it's gaudy or gross or anything, it doesn't reflect on me any.

4. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 12 years ago

Times like that one would wish they had a strong home owner's association.

5. Princess Prisca profile image60
    Princess Priscaposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6016542_f260.jpg

Hi David Legg 7,

A neighbor painting their house a gaudy or bright color would make me wonder about the personal tastes of the homeowners... 

The bottom line is simply this, it's their house and not mine.  They can paint/decorate as they please.  Got one rule that they must follow: NONE of the decor had better find it's way onto my property in any way, shape, form or fashion.

Chow...Princess Prisca

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

It's their house. You are only living in the neighborhood. All you should care about is your home and the people who slap you on the hand when you do something they don't like. Your neighbors and their choices are not your concern. If you don't like looking at it, deal with it. It is just like the buildings you drive by to get to work every day. They don't matter.

7. SuperheroSales profile image56
    SuperheroSalesposted 12 years ago

The neighbor across the street from us painted their home a color that I can best describe as "Diarrhea" (a bright orange/brown combo).  When we open the curtains of our living room that is pretty much all we can see.  It's not a pleasant color.  Even though I typically applaud individuality and unique home colors, I can now see why people get upset with their neighbors' choices in house colors.  I now feel you should at least try to choose a pleasant color because this is a long-term decision that you and your neighbors have to live with. smile

8. alphagirl profile image75
    alphagirlposted 12 years ago

There should be some architectural board that approves things in your city. This would help avoid the UGLIES. Some people have bad taste and are literally color blind. I would be very upset.

9. DougBerry profile image81
    DougBerryposted 12 years ago

Our house is in a weird neighborhood.  It's on a divided boulevard with nice, big houses all built in the 1940s.  We live at the end of the big houses, though.  The last block of the boulevard wasn't developed at the same time.  The remaining block consists of fairly well maintained, smaller houses.  However, a decent proportion of them are of the "park on the lawn" rent-house variety.  Other than parking on the lawn, they're ok.

However, one of the houses got repainted a few months ago.  It's a horrible green color.  I looked at it and said to my wife, "Well, there goes our property value."  But, if you want a green house, go for it.  I'm the one dumb enough to be your neighbor.  Given free reign, my wife would probably paint our house purple.

Also, across the alley are houses and businesses on what used to be the main road into town from the south 60 or 70 years ago.  It's easy enough to give directions:  "You know where the Palm Reader is?  Yeah, well, we're pretty much right behind them."  My wife didn't even want to look at the houses around here until she saw them.  It's a strange oasis of nice amongst the crud.

10. Hezmyjoy profile image60
    Hezmyjoyposted 12 years ago

Its their house. I don't think the neighbors have any rights in having an opinion on what color someone decides to paint it. I have driven through some beautiful posh neighborhoods marveling at the architecture of some gorgeous homes and then there is this hideous house where the occupant paints it purple, pink (actually fuchsia), and white. I would have been ticked off knowing that the value of my home just dropped a few thousand dollars, but its the chance you take.

1. Ivan Tod profile image60
      Ivan Todposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Investment vs. a home. Anyone buying a house based on property values whether they live in it or not, is buying property and making an investment, not a home. If you're buying a 'home' in a particular area then how someone paints theirs won't matter.

11. profile image0
    warden-lawposted 12 years ago

There is a part of me that would want to object.  As part of a community I think everyone owes everyone else some sort of duty to keep their houses up, at the very least to help maintain property values in the area. 

Then the lawyer part of me kicks in, I start remembering all the heated debates in my real property classes.  I am a big proponent of people being able to privately own property and being able to enjoy that property as long as they are not unreasonably bothersome to others.  The question is where is that line.  When does something become unreasonable.  I guess that is whey we have courts and judges to figure that out on a case by case basis.  But I know this, I am painting my house whatever color I freakin want to, and no one is gonna tell me otherwise.

If you want to control the color of your neighbors house, you will need to move to a neighborhood that has a home owners association with rules governing everything from what mailbox you can purchase to the color of the front door. 

So I guess the answer is, when my neighbor does some crazy color on his house I say good for him.

12. jjpinkfloyd profile image60
    jjpinkfloydposted 12 years ago

I think when it comes to people painting their homes colors I' we might not necessarily like, that it is their house. They paid for it , right. For people who want to live in places that regulate such decisions you can always find an HOA ( Homeowners Association) to tell you what to do! There are some pictures of just such homes at http://www.jjwpainting.com

13. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant.  It is their house, and they are free to use whatever color scheme they like. 
    Years back, I lived in a town that had a pretty dismal, foggy climate most of the year, and the folks across the street painted their house gray.  I didn't like it, because I hated the weather there, and  saw plenty of gray in the sky, so I didn't appreciate their choice of house color.
    However, it was none of my business, and nothing I could do about it.  You just live and let live.

14. DexisView profile image77
    DexisViewposted 12 years ago

Think of it as a landmark to give directions by!  We had a house just like that in our neighborhood and when they sided it in a nice neutral shade everyone still referred to by the color it used to be.

15. shweta25 profile image59
    shweta25posted 12 years ago

well,neighbours are the first people you approach in times of need,so if you're really good friends with them,and you dont like the tawdry combination,you are a little unesy at first but accept it saying"He's like that,who cares?"If he loves it and is happy,m OK..

16. terrektwo profile image80
    terrektwoposted 12 years ago

I think if it is their home it's their own business, there are other issues like painting your fence, moving your fence, growing large trees and plants into your yard. Anything that intrudes into what is yours you could do something about.

17. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 12 years ago

At first I might think, how could they paint their house in those bright colors?  But at the same time, I feel that they should be able to do whatever they wanted to to their own house. 

If I wanted to paint my house bright orange with green trim (which sounds crazy), I should be able to, and I would think that a neighbor or two might make some negative comments, but oh well!   **By the way, I am not going to do this!

Helen

18. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

just ignore it. Afterall, it is his/her house, not mine, why bother of the color?

19. Ivan Tod profile image60
    Ivan Todposted 7 years ago

To each his own, and with that I would say that if one prefers a 'cookie cutter' existence then they can go live where the rules for living there dictate your can's and can't do's. That way you won't have to worry about the color of someone else's house offending your sensabilities. It would be somewhat 'separatistic', which is of course anti-American but hey, what constitutes 'American' these days anyway? Or you could take the bible's advice of; 'If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out', that way you wouldn't have to see it, or anything else for that matter. Personally, I live in a place where there are so many trees that my neighbor's houses are barely visible, which is always another choice. I think too many people have forgotten, or simply dismiss, the fact that we live in a country that affords us ALL the freedom to choose...Even if that choice is a gaudy house color.

20. RachaelLefler profile image92
    RachaelLeflerposted 7 years ago

One thing I like about visiting my grandpa in Florida is that the homes are all brightly colored, hotels too. I think it's more lively and festive than the plain beige and grey that our houses tend to be in Illinois. Grandpa's driveway is painted a pretty turquoise, so is his roof. I'd be thrilled to bits to have a teal, blue, or pink house. Why should other people be able to decide what you can and can't do with your own property? It's not like they're the ones who have to live in it. People can be so judgmental and fear anything different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)