jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does any plant really repel mosquitoes?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Does any plant really repel mosquitoes?

They are already horrible this year and I would like natural things to repel them. I started some basil seeds but don't know if they really work or how many I would need. Does anyone know what plants really work?

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Yes!  Mosquito plant works stupendously.  Basil and other herbs like lavender work quite well, and smell better.  Mosquito plant smells a bit like citronella plant, which is another great bug chaser.

3. Blond Logic profile image98
    Blond Logicposted 5 years ago

Yes, I live in Brazil and the Neem tree is planted a lot. Here it grows about 10 feet a year. They are planted in city centers as a deterrent for mosquitoes and are quite drought resistant.   Many people here make a mixture of the leaves and water and spray it around the house.

Also, as was already stated, the citronella plant is a lovely plant to have and it smells wonderful. My dogs rub against it and come out smelling lemony.

4. Jojosi profile image59
    Jojosiposted 5 years ago

Mint also does repel mosquitoes  because it contains menthol which most insects including mosquitoes cannot not come near.   I have used lemon grass in the past before  with success.

working