jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are climbers growing on a house a good or a bad idea?

1. itakins profile image84
    itakinsposted 5 years ago

Are climbers growing on a house a good or a bad idea?

I love ivy,clematis,etc, growing on my house,but many people claim it is not good for the walls -what do you think?

2. Golfgal profile image79
    Golfgalposted 5 years ago

Depends on the type of climber it is.  English ivy is really not a good idea.  It tries to enter the mortar and find little crevises that will not be good for the brick.  If it is siding, it will pull it away.  Some vines only grow on the surface and have to be attached with something.  Look for that kind of vine.  You will have to attach it as it grows, but far better than replacing your wall materials.

3. jaswinder64 profile image60
    jaswinder64posted 5 years ago

Growing climbers on a house is not a good idea, becaue of they are not good for the walls and somtimes they don't look eventhough good too. There are many other plants, which look good and don't harm to your hous walls too. You can grow them in your front garden.

4. KatMannel profile image64
    KatMannelposted 5 years ago

Climbing plants are not a good thing for your home's exterior. It will burrow into the mortar between bricks and get under siding (as Golfgal said). You can make frames, attach some lattice, and sink the frames into the ground (use stakes for support) close to but not next to your home to provide a different surface for the plants to climb. Paint them the same color as your brick/siding if you want a more seamless look. My mom and I came up with this solution last summer. Worked great! We love her Jack Mani Clematis!

working